A look at the games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports between Oct. 9-14, 2014:
• The Class 5A boys state tennis tournament runs Oct. 9-11 at the Gates Tennis Center with three singles players and eight doubles teams from Cherokee Trail, Grandview and Regis Jesuit involved. Play is scheduled to begin each day at 9 a.m. weather permitting, with championship and third-place matches set for Oct. 11.
• Eaglecrest plays Overland in an early Centennial League showdown at 7 p.m. Oct. 9 at Legacy Stadium to kick off Week 7 of the football season, which also includes the annual Anvil game at 6 p.m. Oct. 10 between Gateway and Rangeview at APS Stadium, Cherokee Trail paying a 7 p.m. visit to Valor Christian, undefeated Grandview heading to Cherry Creek at 7 p.m. and Vista PEAK’s 7 p.m. visit to Fort Morgan in Colorado 7 play.
• Cross country league championship day is Oct. 9 with the EMAC boys and girls running at the Aurora Sports Park at 2 p.m., the Centennial League convening at 3:30 p.m. at deKoevend Park in Littleton, Regis Jesuit participating in the Continental League meet at 3:30 p.m. at Castle View High School in Parker and Vista PEAK heading to Fort Lupton for the 4 p.m. Colorado 7 meet.
• The Smoky Hill boys soccer team plays Cherry Creek at 4:30 p.m. Oct. 9 at Village Green Park in a game that would cement the Centennial League championship for the Buffs — who started 5-0 in league play — with a victory.
• The Eaglecrest volleyball team plays host to Cherokee Trail at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 10 in a key Centennial League battle that puts the winner in the driver’s seat. The Raptors won the first meeting in four sets Sept. 16.
• Class 5A softball regionals take place Oct. 11 with Cherokee Trail, Eaglecrest and Grandview involved as the three city teams seek to be one of the top two teams in their respective regionals to advance to the 5A state tournament. Grandview plays at home, while Eaglecrest heads to Fossil Ridge High School in Fort Collins and Cherokee Trail plays in Broomfield. Games for each regional are at 10 a.m., 12:15 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
• The Regis Jesuit field hockey team plays host to Kent Denver at 4:15 p.m. Oct. 14 in a battle of teams looking to cement their positions in the state playoffs prior to the end of the regular season on Oct. 16.
Courtney Oakes is Sports Editor of the Aurora Sentinel. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Twitter: @aurorasports. Facebook: Aurora Prep Sentinel