A look at the games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports between Sept. 25-Oct. 2:
• Week 5 of the prep football season is absolutely loaded, especially with start of Centennial League play as a conference with five of its six teams ranked in the top 10 in The Associated Press’ latest Class 5A poll being to do battle. Grandview and Overland each enter the week 4-0, but have formidable foes ahead as the Wolves take on Eaglecrest (3-1) at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 26 at Legacy Stadium and the Trailblazers travel to Valor Christian at 7 p.m. Cherokee Trail (3-1) is at Cherry Creek (2-2) at 7:30 p.m. in another big league contest.
• The Dave Sanders Invitational cross country meet is set for Sept. 24 at Clement Park, as a few Aurora teams trek to Littleton for the large annual meet. Race times are 3 p.m. for Division I boys and 4:30 p.m. for Division I girls, plus eight more races in a variety of lower classifications. Grandview, Overland and Regis Jesuit are among the city teams set to compete.
• The Overland co-op gymnastics team competes in the Cherry Creek Invitational Sept. 27 with the Trailblazers seeking to win their third meet title of 2014. Competition begins at 10 a.m. at Cherry Creek High School.
• The Class 5A boys state golf tournament runs Sept. 29-30 at Colorado Springs Country Club with an 84-golfer field set to compete that includes 10 qualifiers from Aurora schools. Regis Jesuit aims to win a fifth straight 5A title, while Cherokee Trail looks to make the most of its first trip to state as a team.Tee times for the tournament begin at 8:30 a.m. both days.
• Grandview pays a visit to Eaglecrest at 4:30 p.m. Sept. 30 in a Centennial League softball showdown that could decide the league championship if both teams can make it through one more game. Both the Wolves and Raptors sit at 11-5 overall and 4-0 in league play after decisive victories on Sept. 24.
• Class 5A boys tennis regionals begin Sept. 30 and run through Oct. 2, with Aurora teams dispersed among eight regionals based on finishes when the league season concludes Sept. 25. Regis Jesuit is Aurora’s lone host for a regional tournament, as the Raiders will put on the Region 5 tournament Oct. 1-2 at the CAC-Monaco.
• The Smoky Hill field hockey team holds a Breast Cancer Awareness game at 4 p.m. Oct. 1 at Stutler Bowl when the Buffs take on Cherry Creek in honor of those who have been diagnosed with and survived or fell victim to the rampant disease.
• The Cherokee Trail-Grandview volleyball rematch is set for 6:15 p.m. Oct. 2 as the teams that met for a five-set epic on Sept. 18 reconvene in a match that counts in the Centennial League standings this time. The match may have its start time changed to avoid a conflict as the Cougars and Wolves also meet on the football field at Legacy Stadium at 7 p.m.
• The Smoky Hill boys soccer team plays host to Arapahoe at 4:30 p.m. Oct. 2 with serious Centennial League title implications on the line as both teams won their first two games of the league slate.
Courtney Oakes is Sports Editor of the Aurora Sentinel. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or [email protected] Twitter: @aurorasports. Facebook: Aurora Prep Sentinel. IG: Auroraprepsentinel