AURORA | A look ahead at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports from April 6-12, 2017:
Courtney Oakes is Aurora Sentinel Sports Editor. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or [email protected] Twitter: @aurorasports. FB: Aurora Prep Sentinel
• The Centennial League baseball season opens April 6 with a variety of quality matchups featuring local teams. Smoky Hill welcomes in Grandview and Overland visits Eaglecrest in games set for 4:15 p.m. Cherry Creek’s visit to Cherokee Trail was postponed to April 7 at 4:15 p.m.
• Some strong Aurora girls soccer matchups are set for April 6 highlighted by Cherokee Trail and Smoky Hill colliding at 6 p.m. at Stutler Bowl in a battle of Centennial League teams off to strong starts. An EMAC clash is in store when Hinkley visits Rangeview at 4:30 p.m. in a matchup of teams that have played to a tie in each of the past two meetings.
• The three boys lacrosse matchups for April 7 include two all-Aurora contests as Smoky Hill plays host to Grandview at 5 p.m. and Overland and Eaglecrest play at Legacy Stadium at 7:30 p.m. The Rangeview co-op team is home to Heritage at 5:30 p.m. at APS Stadium.
• A significant day of track & field is in store for April 8 with Aurora teams spread around at a variety of meets. In town, the annual Robert F. Caviness Invitational is set for Aurora Public Schools Stadium with a field that includes Aurora Central, Hinkley and Vista PEAK. Hinkley, Overland, Regis Jesuit and Smoky Hill have entered in the prestigious Mullen Invitational. Cherokee Trail, Gateway, Grandview and Rangeview compete in the Legend Track Clash.
• A powerhouse boys swimming dual meet is set for April 11 when Regis Jesuit pays a visit to Cherry Creek at 4:30 p.m. The Raiders posted a tight victory over the Bruins in last season’s dual meeting.
• All 11 Aurora girls soccer teams play April 11 with four games involving two city squads playing against each other. At 4 p.m., Hinkley plays host to EMAC newcomer Vista PEAK, while Smoky Hill heads to Overland at 4:30 p.m. and Aurora Central and Rangeview meet up at APS Stadium at 5:30 p.m. Fierce Centennial League rivals also face off at 5:30 p.m. when Cherokee Trail plays host to Grandview.
• The first EMAC Major girls golf tournament takes place April 12 as Aurora’s five programs head to Legacy Ridge Golf Course at 10 a.m. in the opener of a two-tournament major slate that determines league standings.