AURORA | A look at the games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports between April 30-May 4:
• Girls tennis regionals finish up April 30-May 1 as the fields for the May 7-9 Class 5A state tournament at the Gates Tennis Center in Denver and the 4A state tournament at Pueblo City Park get finalized. Aurora teams are spread among six of the eight 5A regionals, while Vista PEAK plays in 4A Region 2 at Kent Denver. Full coverage at aurorasentinel.com.
• Vista PEAK plays at Broken Tee G.C. April 30 in the Colorado 7 girls golf finale, looking to lock up the first girls league championship in school history.
• League championship season arrives in track & field beginning April 30, as Aurora Central, Gateway, Hinkley and Rangeview head to APS Stadium for the EMAC Championship meet beginning at 2:30 p.m. The meet resumes at 8:30 a.m. May 2, the same day Vista PEAK heads to Weld Central to compete in the Colorado 7 championships.
• “B” League boys swim meets take place May 2, with the Continental League at 9 a.m. at Regis Jesuit and the Centennial League swimming at Smoky Hill beginning at 10 a.m.
• Pairings for the Class 5A girls state soccer tournament come out May 3, two days after the conclusion of the regular season. The state tournament opens with first round games on May 5 for the yet-to-be announced Aurora contingent, with higher seeds playing at home.
• Girls golf regional tournaments take place May 4, with Aurora teams spread among four 5A regionals based on finish in their league standings. In the Northern Regional at Aurora’s Heather Ridge G.C. is Continental League champion Regis Jesuit, along with Gateway and Aurora Central of the EMAC, while Centennial League runner-up Grandview and sixth-place Eaglecrest play in the Central Regional at CommonGround G.C. along with Hinkley and Rangeview is in the field of the Southern Regional at Heritage Eagle Bend. Cherokee Trail, No. 4 in the Centennial League, is in the Western Regional at Fox Hollow G.C. in Arvada.
• The Cherokee Trail baseball team plays at Cherry Creek at 4:15 p.m. May 4, in a game that could carry large ramifications in the Centennial League. The Cougars lost to the Bruins early in the season and trailed them by a game for first place as of April 28. The baseball regular season concludes on May 5, with postseason play beginning on May 9.
Courtney Oakes is Sports Editor of the Aurora Sentinel. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or [email protected] Twitter: @aurorasports. FB: Aurora Prep Sentinel