AURORA | A look at the games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports between March 26-April 2, 2015:
• The Centennial League Spring Break Qualifying track meet is set for 3:30 p.m. March 26 at Stutler Bowl, with a handful of Aurora teams — host Grandview, Eaglecrest, Overland, Regis Jesuit and Smoky Hill — among eight getting some competition before a lengthy hiatus. Cherry Creek, Legend and Mountain Vista also will be onhand.
• Field conditions permitting, Smoky Hill plays host to Eaglecrest at 4:15 p.m. March 26, the same time that Grandview welcomes Overland in the second game of a new back-to-back format for Centennial League play in baseball. The Buffaloes held off a late Raptors’ rally in a 4-3 win on March 24, while the Wolves pounded out double-digit hits in a 10-2 win over the Trailblazers. Another Centennial League team, Cherokee Trail, continues its run at the Greenway Festival in Arizona, which started March 25.
• Smoky Hill plays at Overland at 4 p.m. March 26 in boys lacrosse, as a game scheduled for the previous day was pushed back by a brief snowstorm. The improved Trailblazers look to win one against the Buffaloes, who have won the last four meetings by double digits. Both Centennial League teams come into the game 2-3.
• Lacrosse is heavy on the schedule on March 27, with three girls games and two boys tilts on the slate. In girls play, Eaglecrest plays host to Mullen at 4:30 p.m., the same time Overland is home to Smoky Hill, while Cherokee Trail welcomes Cherry Creek to Legacy Stadium at 5:30 p.m. The Cougars visit the Bruins in boys place at 6 p.m., while Eaglecrest is at Mullen.
• Rivals Aurora Central and Hinkley meet on the girls soccer pitch at 5:30 p.m. March 30 at Aurora Public Schools Stadium. The fast-starting Thunderbirds (5-1) topped the Trojans (0-3) 10-0 last season.
• The Regis Jesuit boys lacrosse team plays in California March 31-April 1, as the defending Class 5A state champions go against Cathedral Catholic at 5 p.m. MT March 31 and take on Torrey Pines at 8 p.m. MT April 1. The Regis Jesuit girls lacrosse team is also scheduled to play in California, taking on Los Alamitos on March 30 and Aliso on March 31.
• The Eaglecrest baseball team plays Evergreen at 11:30 a.m. April 1 at Coors Field, as the Raptors become the latest Aurora team to play in the Colorado Rockies’ stadium. Eaglecrest struck out 19 times against graduated Evergreen ace Brock Burke last season at Coors Field, but will have a chance to avenge a 4-0 loss to the Cougars.
Courtney Oakes is Sports Editor of the Aurora Sentinel. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or [email protected] Twitter: @aurorasports. FB: Aurora Prep Sentinel