AURORA | A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports from Feb. 8-Feb. 14, 2018:
Courtney Oakes is Aurora Sentinel Sports Editor. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or [email protected] Twitter: @aurorasports. FB: Aurora Prep Sentinel
• The Class 5A girls state swim meet runs Feb. 9-10 at the Edora Pool & Ice Center with swimmers and divers from six Aurora programs set to compete as the meet rotates to Fort Collins after it was contested in Thornton last year. Swim prelims begin at 4 p.m. Feb. 9, diving prelims open at 9:30 a.m. Feb. 10, followed by swim and dive finals at 3 p.m.
• Class 5A/4A wrestling regionals take place Feb. 9-10 with Aurora’s 11 programs spread around all four 5A tournaments and one in 4A. Eaglecrest, Grandview, Hinkley, Overland and Smoky Hill all head to 5A Region 4 at Broomfield; Aurora Central, Cherokee Trail and Regis Jesuit compete in 5A Region 3 at Poudre; Gateway heads to 5A Region 2 at Adams City; Rangeview competes in 5A Region 1 at Arvada West and Vista PEAK is bound for 4A Region 1 at Pueblo County.
• Regis Jesuit and Monarch meet in ice hockey Feb. 9 as the Raiders and Coyotes — who played in last season’s state championship game — face off at 5:40 p.m. at Family Sports Center. Regis Jesuit topped Monarch 4-3 in the first meeting Jan. 27. The back half of a doubleheader on the same ice sees the Cherry Creek co-op team skating against 11-win Pueblo County at 7:50 p.m. The Raiders and Bruins both play Feb. 10 as well.
• A large slate of boys basketball Feb. 9 includes a mix of action for teams in three leagues. Vista PEAK plays host to Prairie View at 7 p.m. in a large EMAC contest, while Eaglecrest plays host to Cherry Creek at 7 p.m. in a meeting of teams in the upper strata of the Centennial League standings.
• The Vista PEAK girls basketball team visits Prairie View Feb. 9 in a key EMAC contest at 7 p.m.
• Overland plays host to Grandview Feb. 10 as the Trailblazers and Wolves complete the second half of their Centennial League series in a game beginning at 3 p.m. Overland won 52-51 at Grandview in the previous meeting between the teams.
• Grandview visits Cherry Creek Feb. 14 in a Centennial League girls basketball showdown scheduled for a 5:30 p.m. tip-off. The Wolves won by 10 points in the first meeting and can claim sole possession of the league championship with a win.