A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports between Feb. 14-Feb. 20, 2014:
• The Class 5A girls state swim meet runs Feb. 14-15 at the Veterans’ Memorial Aquatic Center, a switch from its normal venue at the Edora Pool & Ice Center in Fort Collins. Forty-three individual swimmers and divers — including 21 from defending 5A state champion Regis Jesuit —and 12 relays teams from five Aurora schools compete in the prelims at 4 p.m. Feb. 14. Diving prelims are slated for 9 a.m. Feb. 15, followed by finals for all events at 2 p.m.
• Regional wrestling tournaments run Feb. 14-15 as 11 city teams seek berths in the state tournament, in a variety of places around the metro area. The largest concentration of Aurora teams stays home, as Aurora Central, Overland, Rangeview and Smoky Hill head to Cherokee Trail for the 5A Region 1 tournament. Grandview is in 5A Region 2 at Coronado, Hinkley and Regis Jesuit head to 5A Region 3 at Fort Collins and Eaglecrest and Gateway visits 5A Region 4 at Bear Creek. Vista PEAK is entered in the 4A Region 1 tournament at Broomfield. Full time schedules, here.
• The Regis Jesuit ice hockey team plays host to Monarch at 5:45 p.m. Feb. 15 at Family Sports Center, with playoff seeding out of the Foothills Conference at stake. The Raiders (14-3) and Coyotes (15-1-1) skated to a 3-3 tie in the regular season a year ago before Monarch won by a 5-2 count when they met against in the state semifinals.
• The Vista PEAK boys basketball team heads to Valor Christian at 7 p.m. Feb. 15, in a rescheduled non-league battle of teams both ranked in the Associated Press’ 4A top 10. The No. 10 Bison had an 11-game winning streak going into a Feb. 14 contest against Englewood, while the No. 2 Eagles have won eight straight themselves.
• All Centennial League basketball results are impactful, including those on Feb. 19, when the muddy boys basketball standings could become clearer when Grandview plays host to Arapahoe and Overland visits Cherry Creek in a game that could set up a battle for the Centennial League championship Feb. 21 between the Trailblazers and Eaglecrest. The Centennial League-leading Grandview girls visit Arapahoe, currently the third-best team in the league. All games have 7 p.m. tip times.
• The three-day state wrestling tournament opens Feb. 20 at Pepsi Center, where qualifiers in Classes 5A-1A finish out the season with state championships and places on the line.
Courtney Oakes is Sports Editor of the Aurora Sentinel. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Twitter: @aurorasports. Facebook: Aurora Prep Sentinel