A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports between Dec. 19-21:
• Among a variety of boys basketball tournaments to close out the opening portion of the season is the Rock Canyon Winter Shootout Dec. 19-21, which includes Aurora Central and Overland. The Trojans and Trailblazers each play three games in the tournament and face each other at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 20. Meanwhile, Grandview travels to California for the Mission Prep Christmas Classic, Hinkley is at the Cherry Creek Holiday Classic, Gateway plays in the Douglas County Holiday Tournament and Smoky Hill is set for the Harrison Tournament.
• The Regis Jesuit and Grandview girls basketball teams takes part in the Nike Tournament of Champions Dec. 19-21 in Phoenix, as both teams put undefeated records on the line. Closer to home, Cherokee Trail and Gateway take part in the annual Heritage Memorial Hoopla Tournament, while Aurora Central plays host to its own tournament which includes Eaglecrest and Overland and Rangeview competes in the Prairie View ThunderHawks Hoops Fest.
• The Cherry Creek co-op ice hockey team faces Mountain Vista at 5:45 p.m. Dec. 20 at Family Sports Center, as the much-improved Bruins — a mix of players from six different district schools — aim to earn a measure of revenge against a Golden Eagles team that beat them 4-2 last season.
• The early portion of the wrestling season finishes with a flurry Dec. 21, as city teams are spread out among a variety of quality tournaments prior to winter break. Close to home, Cherokee Trail hosts its annual Holiday Duals tournament that includes Gateway and the Aurora Central Duals features five teams, including Overland. Eaglecrest and Regis Jesuit are scheduled to head to Greeley in the massive University of Northern Colorado Classic, which typically includes more than 60 teams from Colorado and a variety of states, and begins Dec. 20. Grandview makes its annual trip to the Reno Tournament of Champions, which is another collection of elite teams with All-American status at stake.
• The Coaches Invitational girls swim meet is set for Dec. 21 at Thornton’s Veterans’ Memorial Aquatic Center, site of the Class 5A state championship meet in February. The annual all-classification meet requires a qualifying time/score from last season or this season and generally is a good preview of the end of the season. Cherokee Trail, Grandview, Regis Jesuit and Smoky Hill participated last year.
Courtney Oakes is Sports Editor of the Aurora Sentinel. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or [email protected] Twitter: @aurorasports. Facebook: Aurora Prep Sentinel