A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports between Jan. 31-Feb. 5, 2014:
• League basketball races continue to heat up on Jan. 31, as the homestretch begins with a few weeks until the postseason. The Eaglecrest boys basketball team, ranked No. 4 in the latest Associated Press Class 5A media poll, beat rival Grandview on a buzzer-beating shot by Jaisean Jackson in the first meeting and the teams square off again at 7 p.m. at Eaglecrest to begin the second round of Centennial League play. In girls play, Rangeview leads the EMAC at 3-0 and plays at 6:30 p.m. contest at 3-1 Adams City.
• The Cherry Creek co-op ice hockey team skates (11-2-1) against Monarch (11-1-1) at 8 p.m. Jan. 31 at Family Sports Center with a key win at stake as the teams sit bunched at the top of the Foothills Conference standings, just behind Regis Jesuit and Ralston Valley. The Bruins co-op team looks to avenge a 6-0 loss to the Coyotes last season.
• The annual Aurora Public Schools Championships girls swim meet is set for Feb. 1 at Rangeview, as Aurora Central, Gateway and Hinkley visit the host Raiders for the annual city pool showdown. Prelims begin at 8:45 a.m., with finals scheduled for 4:15 p.m. Centennial and Continental “B” League meets also wrap up Feb. 1, with the Centennial League at Smoky Hill at 10 a.m. and the Continental League at Heritage at 11 a.m.
• The Aurora Central, Gateway, Overland and Regis Jesuit wrestling teams head to the Lincoln Invitational Feb. 1, in one more good tune-up a week before regional tournaments with state berths on the line. The tournament opens at 9 a.m., the same time Grandview and Rangeview begin at the Thornton Invite. Cherokee Trail and Hinkley are in Brighton, Smoky Hill is at Thomas Jefferson and Eaglecrest travels to Garden City, Kan.
• Some key league hoops action is slated for Feb. 4, as a rugged stretch continues for the Regis Jesuit boys with a 7 p.m. visit from Highlands Ranch in a Continental League showdown. The streaking Vista PEAK boys can take total command of the Colorado 7 with a win in a 7 p.m. contest at Elizabeth. The Bison won the first meeting by three points.
• The annual Regis Jesuit-Highlands Ranch girls basketball showdown is at 7 p.m. Feb. 5, on the Falcons’ home floor, as the teams that met for last season’s 5A state title square off again. Coach Carl Mattei’s Raiders overtook the Falcons for the No. 1 spot in the Associated Press’s Class 5A media poll.
Courtney Oakes is Sports Editor of the Aurora Sentinel. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or [email protected] Twitter: @aurorasports. Facebook: Aurora Prep Sentinel