AURORA | A look at the games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports between Jan. 15-21, 2015:
• Rangeview pays a 7 p.m. visit to Aurora Central on Jan. 15 in non-league boys basketball contest, which will provide a preview for the Feb. 11 contest at Rangeview that will count in the EMAC standings. The Raiders topped the Trojans in both meetings last season.
• The Grandview girls swim team gets a look at Cherry Creek’s new pool at 4 p.m. Jan. 15 in what should be a competitive Centennial League dual meet. The Wolves bested the Bruins for the first time in program history last season. Smoky Hill plays host to Mullen at 4:30 p.m. and celebrates its seniors, while Cherokee Trail pays a visit to Arapahoe and Overland is at Eaglecrest. Rangeview plays host to Brighton at 4:30 p.m. in battle of two of the EMAC’s best.
• The Regis Jesuit girls basketball team heads to the Big Apple on Jan. 16-19 for the Rose Classic Super Jam at Nazareth High School in Brooklyn. The Raiders, who played in a tournament in Virginia prior to winter break, face two teams from New York (South Shore and Medgar Evans College Prep) plus one from New Jersey (St. Rose) over the Martin Luther King Day weekend.
• The 24th annual Smoky Hill Invitational girls swim meet is set for Jan. 17 at Smoky Hill High School with a 12-team field that also includes Cherokee Trail and Eaglecrest. The Buffaloes finished third last season, while the Cougars came in eighth and the Raptors 11th. Swimming prelims begin at 8:30 a.m., diving prelims at 1 p.m. and finals for both at 5 p.m.
• The Grandview wrestling teams heads to the rugged Arvada West Invitational on Jan. 17 as the Wolves continue a loaded portion of the schedule with a tournament featuring four of the top seven teams in Class 5A in On The Mat’s current rankings (Arvada West, Pomona, Grand Junction & Coronado), plus 4A No. 1 Thompson Valley. Overland and Smoky Hill head to the Mullen Invitational, Eaglecrest is at the Alameda Invitational and Cherokee Trail heads north for a dual tournament at Rocky Mountain.
• The top-ranked Regis Jesuit boys basketball team plays host to Denver East at 7 p.m. Jan. 20 as the Raiders meet yet another difficult team in a grueling non-league schedule. Regis Jesuit welcome in the defending Class 5A state champion Angels after a trip to Fossil Ridge — a semifinalist last season — on Jan. 17 and a home game with No. 5 Montbello on Jan. 13.
Courtney Oakes is Sports Editor of the Aurora Sentinel. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Twitter: @aurorasports. FB: Aurora Prep Sentinel