A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports between Jan. 10-15, 2014:
• Four boys and girls basketball doubleheaders are in store for Jan. 10, highlighted by Overland’s visit to Cherokee Trail (girls at 5:30 p.m. and boys at 7 p.m.) in Centennial League play. The same time schedule applies to Cherry Creek’s Centennial League visit to Eaglecrest and George Washington’s non-league trip to Rangeview, while Vista PEAK flips it against Elizabeth, with the boys playing at 5:30 p.m. and the girls at 7 p.m. In non-doubleheaders, the Smoky Hill boys play host to unbeaten Arapahoe at 7 p.m., while Aurora Central visits 4A power Thomas Jefferson at the same time.
• The Regis Jesuit girls basketball team visits Grandview at 7 p.m. Jan. 11, in a rematch of last season’s Class 5A state semifinal game won by the Raiders. Regis Jesuit — which plays the top-ranked team in the country, Incarnate Word, on Jan. 9 in St. Louis — is ranked No. 1 in the inaugural Associated Press 5A prep poll, while Grandview — which tunes up with a Centennial League contest against Eaglecrest on Jan. 8 — is ranked No. 3.
• The Rangeview Raider Classic wrestling tournament is scheduled for Jan. 11, as the Raiders play host to their annual tournament that has 13 teams scheduled to compete, including Aurora Central. Grandview, Overland and Regis Jesuit are set to wrestle in the Legend Duals, Gateway and Smoky Hill head to Fort Collins and Hinkley is at Westminster.
• The Mountain Range Mustangs Invitational girls swim meet is set for Jan. 11 at Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center, with Cherokee Trail & Regis Jesuit among the teams scheduled to compete in the same pool that will play host to the 5A state meet. The diving portion of the event is set for Jan. 10 at 5 p.m.
• An ice hockey doubleheader is slated for Jan. 11 at Family Sports Center, with Regis Jesuit skating against Battle Mountain at 4:15 p.m., followed by the Cherry Creek co-op team taking the ice against Chatfield at 6:30 p.m. Both games are Foothills Conference contests.
• Centennial League basketball heats up on Jan. 15, highlighted by Arapahoe playing at Eaglecrest, while the Smoky Hill at Overland doubleheader (girls at 5:30 p.m., boys at 7 p.m.) should be a good one on both fronts. In other top contests, the Rangeview boys are at Legend at 7 p.m. and the Regis Jesuit girls play host to Castle View.
Courtney Oakes is Sports Editor of the Aurora Sentinel. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or [email protected] Twitter: @aurorasports. Facebook: Aurora Prep Sentinel