AURORA | Much of the prep sports action in the past week got washed out by several snowstorms, but some significant results took place in Aurora April 11-16:
• Brighton edged Hinkley 96-89 in a tightly-contested EMAC boys swimming dual meet on April 16 at Hinkley.
Juniors Tim Martin and Steven Banuelos-Loya did their best for the Hinkley team — a co-op of schools in the Aurora Public Schools district — by winning two events each. Joseph Graff also posted an event win for Hinkley.
• The Regis Jesuit boys swim team set pool records in all three relays in a commanding 139-43 Continental League dual meet over visiting Littleton on April 16.
Seniors Erik Biernat and Clark Smith and junior Hennessey Stuart didn’t swim any individual events, but contributed to all three relay records — 1 minute, 32.71 seconds in the 200 medley, 1:25.03 in the 200 freestyle and 3:06.96 in the 400 freestyle. Senior Zach Suter swam on the freestyle relays and sophomore Quinlan Stuart swam the medley.
Austin Phillips won twice individually for the Raiders, who remained unbeaten in dual meets.
• April 16 Aurora prep sports scoreboard, here.
• The Grandview baseball team kept rolling with an 8-3 Centennial League home victory over Cherokee Trail on April 13.
Senior Reece Weber slugged a three-run home run in a four-run third inning and earned the win with five solid innings on the mound as the Wolves improved to 9-1 overall and 3-1 in league play. Alex Achtermann’s two-run double built an early 2-0 lead for Cherokee Trail, but the Cougars got just one more
• Smoky Hill suffered a 2-1 loss to Boulder in an eight-inning non-league baseball game at Coors Field on April 13.
The Buffaloes trailed for the whole game until the bottom of the seventh, when Jeff Gillis drove in Hank Hyde to tie the game. The Panthers got the winning run in the top of the eighth inning.
In extra innings, the Panthers got three hits a run off reliever Trey Reineke to drop Smoky Hill to 6-3 overall.
• The Smoky Hill Invitational boys swim meet went to the host Buffaloes, who won five events and piled up 455 points on April 13.
Junior Juhan Hong won both distance freestyle events — setting a new pool record in the 200 freestyle and just missing the meet record in the 500 freestyle — freshmen Aidan Mercer (200 individual medley) and Devin Bellamy (diving) and the 400-yard freestyle relay team posted victories for the Buffaloes, who finished well ahead of runner-up Fossil Ridge.
Cherokee Trail placed fourth, spurred by individual victories from juniors TJ Konde (100 backstroke) and Josh Bedford (100 breaststroke).
• The Regis Jesuit girls lacrosse team suffered just its second loss of the season on April 13, as Centaurus rallied for an 13-11 win at Regis Jesuit.
Kathryn Blumhardt and Courtney Gielow scored three goals each for the Raiders (7-2), who also got two apiece from Erin Sungelo and Kellen Foster.
• Junior Megan Campbell scored both goals for Rangeview in a 2-0 non-league girls soccer victory against Overland on April 13. Vanessa Medera assisted on one of the goals for the Raiders, who posted their fifth straight victory.
• April 13 Aurora prep sports scoreboard, here.
• April 12 Aurora prep sports scoreboard, here.
• Emily and Taylor Burton and Daisha Stanley scored goals and the Cherokee Trail girls soccer team edged Arapahoe 3-2 in double overtime in a Centennial League contest on April 11.
The Cougars (5-1-2) avenged last season’s 7-1 loss to the Warriors.
• The Regis Jesuit boys swim team posted an impressive 115-71 dual meet victory over Cherry Creek in a battle of powerhouse programs April 10.
Senior Clark Smith won twice individually — in the 200-yard freestyle (with a time of 1 minute, 41.51 second) and 100 butterfly (with a 48.46 time that beat Bruins star Darryl Turner) — while Hennessey Stuart (20o individual medley), Erik Biernat (50 freestyle), Chris Dawson (500 freestyle), Quinlan Stuart (100 breaststroke) and all three relay teams placed first for the Raiders.
Reach Sports Editor Courtney Oakes at [email protected] or 303-750-7555