A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports between Sept. 27-Oct. 3:
• Week 5 of the prep football season comes Sept. 27 with some big matchups as the neighborhood rivalry resumes between Eaglecrest and Grandview, which both sit at 3-1 going into their 7 p.m. clash at Legacy Stadium. The Wolves — ranked No. 8 in Class 5A — won by a single point last season. Another big one comes in Continental League play when 5A No. 1 ThunderRidge (4-0) pays a 7 p.m. visit to 3-1 and 9th-ranked Regis Jesuit — which celebrates its homecoming — at Lou Kellogg Stadium. Also on the schedule is Austin Conway-led Overland playing at Cherry Creek at 7 p.m. in a Centennial League opener.
• Seven Aurora cross country teams head to the Dave Sanders Invitational Sept. 27 at Clement Park in one of the most popular meets that sits just over a month before the state meet in Colorado Springs. Aurora Central, Eaglecrest, Grandview, Overland, Regis Jesuit, Smoky Hill and Vista PEAK are spread throughout multiple divisions. The schedule includes 10 total boys and girls races, beginning at 3 p.m.
• The Regis Jesuit boys soccer team heads to the Jesuit Classic Sept. 27-28 in Kansas City, Mo., where the Raiders will play Gonzaga and Rockhurst in the annual four-team tournament that was played in Aurora last year. The next week, Grandview travels to St. Louis for the Gateway City Soccer Classic.
• The Regis Jesuit field hockey team plays host to Palmer Ridge at 9:15 a.m. Sept. 28 as two of the top five teams in the state recordwise meet on Laber Field. The game could have playoff seeding implications with just under three weeks left in the regular season.
• The 5A boys state golf tournament runs Sept. 30-Oct. 1 at Murphy Creek G.C. as Regis Jesuit aims for a fourth consecutive state championship and at least a couple of Raiders have their eyes on the individual title as well. A total of 10 Aurora players from five city schools are in the 82-man field. Tee times begin at 8:30 a.m. each day.
• An important contest in the Colorado 7 boys soccer title race sees Skyview pay a 4 p.m. visit to Vista PEAK on Oct. 1. The teams played to a 1-1 tie last season.
• The Cherokee Trail and Eaglecrest volleyball teams meet for the second time Oct. 1 a week after the teams went to five sets, which the Raptors won. Eaglecrest, which plays host to the Cougars at 6:15 p.m., will be without star junior setter Jordyn Poulter, who is training with USA Volleyball’s U-23 national team.
• Some 5A boys tennis regionals begin as early as Sept. 30 and other stretch as late as Oct. 5, but Aurora teams get their chance to qualify for the Oct. 10-12 state tournament at the Gates Tennis Center. Regional fields are yet to be determined until final league standings are turned in Sept. 27, but one set regional including a city team is Region 7, which will be hosted by Regis Jesuit. The tournament is scheduled for Oct. 2-3 at the Colorado Athletic Club Monaco.
• Unbeaten Rangeview plays at Aurora Central at 4 p.m. Oct. 3 in a battle of Aurora boys soccer teams that are stacked atop the EMAC standings in an equation that also includes Hinkley. The Raiders edged the Trojans 1-0 last season.