AURORA | A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports from Aug. 30-Sept. 4:
• It’s been at least five years since Rangeview and Regis Jesuit met on the football field, but they’ll do so on Aug. 30, when a battle of Aurora teams with identical Raiders mascots is set for Aurora Public Schools Stadium. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. when coach Dave Gonzales’ Rangeview team plays host to Mark Nolan’s Regis Jesuit squad. Chatfield is at Cherokee Trail at 7 p.m.
• The first full slate of Friday Night Lights is set for Aug. 31, with two all-Aurora matchups on the slate. Gateway visits Smoky Hill at 7 p.m. at Legacy Stadium and Vista PEAK — riding the wave of a Zero Week victory — goes against Aurora Central at 6 p.m. at APS Stadium. New coach Seth Replogle leads Overland into a new era when the Trailblazers play host to Arvada West at 7 p.m. at Stutler Bowl.
• The Regis Jesuit Jam volleyball tournament is set for Aug. 31-Sept. 1 at the Gold Crown Fieldhouse in Lakewood. The host Raiders — coming off a run to the final four of the Class 5A state volleyball tournament in 2011 — welcome a group with four other Aurora squads: much-improved Cherokee Trail, plus Hinkley, Smoky Hill and Vista PEAK. Also in the field is defending state champion Chaparral. Play begins at 9 a.m. each day and championship matches are set for 4:30 p.m. Sept. 1.
• Cross country teams leave the starting line on Aug. 31, as Cherokee Trail, Eaglecrest and Overland take part in the Arapahoe Warrior Invite at Littleton’s DeKoevend Park. Meanwhile, Smoky Hill — the host of the state cross country meet the past two seasons — and Regis Jesuit take part in the Pre-State Meet at the Norris Penrose Equestrian Center in Colorado Springs.
• The Smoky Hill Buff Classic boys tennis tournament runs Aug. 31-Sept. 1, with the Buffaloes — who feature two-time Class 5A state tournament qualifier Chris Whipple at No. 2 singles — welcome in a number of teams that include Aurora entries Cherokee Trail and Grandview. Play starts at 3:30 p.m. on Aug. 31 and 9 a.m. on Sept. 1.
• Lakewood is at Eaglecrest Sept. 4 in a top early season volleyball matchup. Led by three Division I commitments — University of Denver pledges Ruth Okoye and Taylor Loyd and Illinois-bound setter Jordyn Poulter — the Raptors will seek revenge for a 4-set loss in 2011. First serve is set for 6:30 p.m.
Reach Sports Editor Courtney Oakes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-750-7555