AURORA | A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports from May 16-22:
(All events weather permitting)
• All five classifications of track teams head to Jeffco Stadium May 16-18 for the 5A-1A state meet with qualified athletes from all over Aurora set to compete for state championships. The city has a tradition of big performances at the state meet and should have more, including the possibility of a team championship as the Cherokee Trail boys and girls have been among the state’s best all season. Gateway’s Zack Golditch tries to defend his 5A title in the discus.
• The Class 5A baseball championship series opens May 17, with Grandview among the eight teams fighting it out in the double-elimination tournament at two sites, All-City Field at Denver South High School and Bishop Machebeuf High School. The fourth-seeded Wolves face Centennial League nemesis and fifth-seeded Cherry Creek at 12:30 p.m. May 17 at All-City Field, with the winner playing again at 3 p.m. The tournament continues May 18 and extends to May 24-25 for the final four teams that survive opening weekend.
• The May 17-18 Class 5A boys state swim meet has a new venue, Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction, as state championship favorite Regis Jesuit and qualifiers from a handful of Aurora schools head to the Western Slope for two days of competition at the El Pomar Natatorium. Prelims begin at 4 p.m. May 17, while finals are slated for 2 p.m. May 18.
• Regis Jesuit plays Centaurus in a girls lacrosse state semifinal at 1 p.m. May 18 at the University of Denver and the Raiders are looking for payback against a Warriors team that dealt them their only in-state loss earlier in the season. The semifinal winner plays either Cherry Creek or Air Academy for the state title on May 22 at DU.
• The Class 5A boys lacrosse state championship game is at 4:30 p.m. May 18 at Sports Authority Field at Mile High as Regis Jesuit — which played Arapahoe after press time in a semifinal on May 15 — has its sites set on. The Raiders could have a shot at their second state title in three seasons, looking to match the one they got in 2011.
• Eight Aurora girls golfers head to Grand Junction for the May 20-21 Class 5A state tournament at Tiara Rado Golf Course. Regis Jesuit has a three-player team in Sydney Gillespie, Sofia Vigil and Mary Weinstein going, while Rangeview teammates Julia Kim and Jasmine Trevizo will also be on hand in addition to Grandview freshman Morgan Sahm, Eaglecrest senior Jamie Griffin — who will play at state for a fourth time —and late addition Kasydi Valentine of Hinkley. Tee times begin at 8:30 a.m. both days. Visit aurorasentinel.com for tee times.
Reach Sports Editor Courtney Oakes at [email protected] or 303-750-7555