AURORA | A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports from April 4-April 11:
• The Regis Jesuit boys lacrosse team takes a two-game road swing to California April 4-5 as the Raiders will go against Santa Fe Christian (April 4) and La Costa Canyon (April 5).
• No Colorado prep athletes will compete, but the 2013 USAPL High School National Powerlifting Championships take place in Aurora April 4-6 at the Red Lion Hotel. Competitors in 11 male weight classes and 10 female classes will take part in sessions that run from 9 a.m.-noon and 2-5 p.m. each day.
• The Show all-star basketball games are set for April 6 at the Pepsi Center with nine Aurora players and two coaches set to take part in the girls game at 1:30 p.m. and the boys contest at 3 p.m. Regis Jesuit’s Diani Akigbogun and Justine Hall will be coached by Grandview’s Josh Ulitzky in the girls game, while Aurora Central’s Carlton Hurst, Cherokee Trail’s Drick Bernstine, Eaglecrest’s TreShawn Wilford, Grandview’s Eric Garcia, Overland’s De’Ron Davis, Rangeview’s Jeremiah Paige and Regis Jesuit’s Josh Perkins band together under Rangeview coach Shawn Palmer in the boys game.
• The Legend Track Clash is set for 8 a.m. April 6 at Sports Authority Stadium in Parker with fast-starting Cherokee Trail, Gateway, Overland and Rangeview set to compete. The Cougars are off to a strong start to the season on both the boys and girls sides and will try to extend it against a good mix of competition from a variety of leagues.
• The Regis Jesuit boys swim team is at Cherry Creek for a dual meet at 4:30 p.m. April 9 as perhaps the two top teams in the state get together. They missed each other at the Coaches Invitational, which the Bruins won handily, but the Raiders won by a large margin when they met at last season’s Class 5A state meet. Regis Jesuit won last year’s dual with Cherry Creek by a 191-123 score.
• Back from spring break, the Grandview baseball team plays ThunderRidge April 9 at Coors Field as the teams get together on the Colorado Rockies’ home field for another meeting. The Wolves thumped the Grizzlies 16-2 last season at 20th & Blake Street. Eaglecrest and Brighton get their turn at 3 p.m. April 10 and Smoky Hill plays Boulder at 3 p.m. April 13.
• The Overland baseball team seeks to extend its strong start in a 4:15 p.m. April 9 home contest against Mullen with ace left-hander Dario Villagomez looking to boost the Trailblazers to 5-2 overall and 2-0 in the Centennial League with a victory. The Mustangs swept both games from Overland last season.
• A huge slate of action for April 11 includes 10 Aurora girls tennis teams taking the court highlighted by Grandview at Cherokee Trail at 3:30 p.m. Regis Jesuit also goes against Rock Canyon. On the soccer pitch, Cherokee Trail is at Arapahoe at 4:30 p.m. and Grandview plays host to Cherry Creek at 5:30 p.m. at Legacy Stadium. Hinkley is at Northglenn at 6:30 p.m. in a battle of fast-starting EMAC squads.
Reach Sports Editor Courtney Oakes at [email protected] or 303-750-7555