AURORA | A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports from March 22-March 27:
• The Smoky Hill boys lacrosse team aims to keep the Hammer traveling trophy when it plays host to Eaglecrest at 4:30 p.m. March 22 as the Buffaloes seek to retain custody of the painted sledgehammer for a seventh consecutive season. Smoky Hill beat Eaglecrest 17-3 last season and has had possession of the Hammer since 2006.
• The Cherokee Trail and Rock Canyon girls soccer teams meet at 4 p.m. March 22 at Sports Authority Stadium in Parker as two teams ranked early in the Class 5A coaches poll collide. With four wins in their first five games, the Cougars have already doubled last season’s win total and will look to add to it against the Jaguars.
• Regis Jesuit visits Cherry Creek at 11 a.m. March 23 in a baseball showdown between the teams that have played for the last two Class 5A state championships, with each team winning once. The Bruins won last season’s final and came into this season as the overwhelming title favorite. In their first season under new coach Mike Anderson, the Raiders are also expected in the championship equation.
• Six Aurora track teams are set for the SaberCat Invite at 9 a.m. March 23 at Sports Authority Stadium in Park as Eaglecrest, Gateway, Grandview, Overland, Smoky Hill and Vista PEAK are scheduled to be among 26 teams competing in the meet hosted by Castle View High School. The Aurora teams just saw each other at the Aurora City Championships March 16.
• Powerful Loyola out of Los Angeles visits Regis Jesuit for a boys swim meet at 4 p.m. March 23 in a battle of quality programs from Jesuit schools. The Raiders are the defending 5A state champions and face a strong Loyola program that’s traditionally one of the best in California. Regis Jesuit then welcomes in nearby Grandview at 4:30 p.m. March 26.
• Eaglecrest and Grandview meet in girls soccer at 5:30 p.m. March 25 at Legacy Stadium as the two Centennial League rivals battle for a key victory early in league play. The Wolves scored twice in the second half for a 3-1 win in last season’s physical contest with the Raptors.
• Regis Jesuit visits Mullen at 6 p.m. March 27 in a girls lacrosse clash between rivals who meet for the first time since the Mustangs dealt the Raiders a 9-8 defeat last season that snapped their 12-game winning streak to open the campaign. Regis Jesuit’s seven Division I signees will be determined.
Reach Sports Editor Courtney Oakes at [email protected] or 303-750-7555