AURORA | A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports from Jan. 18-23:
• A big night of boys basketball is in store on Jan. 18 as the Centennial League continues to heat up. On this night, Overland plays host to Arapahoe, Cherokee Trail welcomes in Cherry Creek and Smoky Hill visits Grandview, all in 7 p.m. contests likely to have an impact on the early standings. The same matchups on the girls sides also look to be highly competitive.
• On the ice Jan. 18, Cherry Creek has a tough test on the road against Monarch which was knocked from the ranks of the unbeaten recently by Ralston Valley. The teams drop the puck at 7:30 p.m. at the Boulder Valley Ice at Superior rink. Unbeaten Regis Jesuit is also in action in Foothills Conference play, as Dakota Ridge visits the Raiders at 5:45 p.m. at the Family Sports Center.
• The Grandview wrestling team caps a tough week at the Arvada West Invitational on Jan. 19 as the Wolves compete in one of the annually toughest tournaments of the season. That comes on the heels of dual meets the previous two nights at Brighton (Jan. 17) and Cherry Creek (Jan. 18).
• The undefeated Regis Jesuit girls basketball team heads to the Classic in the Country Jan. 19-21 for three games against elite teams in Berlin, Ohio. The Raiders’ slate includes Kettering Fairmount and Canton McKinley, both strong Ohio teams.
• In the week leading up to the Aurora City Championship girls swim meet, Rangeview is at Gateway on Jan. 22 as the Aurora Public Schools rival girls swim teams battle in a 4:30 p.m. dual meet. Aurora Central and Hinkley will be included in the annual city meet a few days later.
• The Rangeview boys basketball team plays host to Valor Christian on Jan. 23 as the teams meet again following a clash in the Ralston Roundup which the Eagles won by two. Rangeview is anxious for payback against a Valor Christian team ranked No. 1 in Class 4A and with a 9-2 mark against 5A teams. Other key games that night feature Eaglecrest at Cherokee Trail and Grandview at Overland, the nightcap of a tripleheader with the girls at 5:30 p.m. and the school’s Unified teams at 4:30 p.m.
• The Eaglecrest wrestling team welcomes in Arapahoe at 7 p.m. Jan. 23 looking to pick up another key victory in its quest to win the Centennial League championship. The Raptors won their first three conference dual meets.
Reach Sports Editor Courtney Oakes at [email protected] or 303-750-7555