AURORA | A look at some of the key games, tournaments and happenings in Aurora prep sports from Jan. 11-15:
• All 11 Aurora boys basketball teams are in action on Jan. 11 with just one all-Aurora game on the slate when Overland plays at Cherokee Trail at 7 p.m. on a Centennial League slate that also includes Eaglecrest at Cherry Creek at the same time. Among other highlights is Rangeview’s non-league visit to George Washington.
• Three Aurora girls swim teams are in the pool Jan. 12 for the annual Smoky Hill Invitational as the host Buffaloes welcome a field that also includes locals Cherokee Trail and Eaglecrest in addition to Castle View, Chaparral, D’Evelyn, George Washington, Heritage, Legend, Mountain Vista and Mullen. Prelims are scheduled for 8:30 a.m., with swim and dive finals at 5 p.m.
• The girls basketball game of the year in Aurora comes Jan. 12 when Grandview visits Regis Jesuit in a battle of teams both off to undefeated starts to the season. The Wolves (8-0) are ranked No. 2 in Class 5A in the Denver Post’s most recent coaches poll, while the Raiders (9-0) are right behind them at No. 3. Both teams got into league play before the meeting.
• The Cherry Creek ice hockey team looks for its third win of the season Jan. 12 when the district team made up of players from five schools plays host to Steamboat Springs at 6 p.m. at Family Sports Center.
• The annual Rangeview Raider Classic wrestling tournament is set for Jan. 12 with a variety of teams including Aurora Central in the group competing at Rangeview. The Trojans took second last season and the host Raiders were 4th. Other Aurora wrestling teams are scattered around tournaments in Pueblo, Westminster, Evergreen and Elizabeth.
• The Regis Jesuit-Mullen rivalry takes to the ice Jan. 14 with a 2:30 p.m. hockey matinee between the teams at The Edge Ice Arena. The Raiders were undefeated through seven games, while the Mustangs had a four-game winning streak after losing their first four.
• Missy Franklin will be in the Regis Jesuit pool at 4 p.m. Jan. 15 when the Raiders play host to Cherry Creek in a dual meet. The school’s bubble will be packed to see Franklin, a four-time gold medalist at the Summer Olympics in London, swim the second of two dual meets she’s planning to swim in her final prep season. The meet marks Senior Night for Regis Jesuit. At 4:30 p.m., Aurora Public Schools rivals meet when Aurora Central swims on the road at Rangeview.
Reach Sports Editor Courtney Oakes at [email protected] or 303-750-7555