Football: Rangeview fires head coach Dave Gonzales after 12 seasons

AURORA | In a stunning start to the new year, Rangeview High School has fired veteran football coach Dave Gonzales.

Gonzales — who had been tied with Cherokee Trail’s Monte Thelen, whom he replaced at Rangeview in 2003, as Aurora’s longest-tenured head football coach — had a 68-54 overall coaching record in 12 seasons, guided the Raiders to 10 Class 5A state playoff appearances and has helped the program win five straight league championships.

Rangeview athletic director Vic Strouse confirmed Gonzales’ dismissal on Monday per an administrative directive.

Dave Gonzales was named South Metro League Coach of the Year in 2014 after leading Rangeview to a 6-0 mark in league play and 7-3 overall. (Photo by Courtney Oakes/Aurora Sentinel)

“We’ve decided to go in a different direction and Coach Gonzales will not be the head football coach next year,” a pained Strouse said. “We won’t be giving any other details, but it’s a philosophical change.

“We fully respect Coach Gonzales and the 12 years he’s put in here, but it was time to move in a different direction.”

Strouse said there was no timetable on hiring a new coach, but that it “won’t be a rush decision,” just as the school took its time in deciding to let go of Gonzales.

Gonzales kept his response minimal, other than to say he was blindsided by the decision, which he was informed of the day before the school’s winter break. He’s also to remain as Rangeview’s boys track coach in the spring.

Rangeview becomes the fourth Aurora school in search of a head football coach, joining Aurora Central — which let go of Taylor Calvert before Thanksgiving — Smoky Hill, which saw athletic director Preston Davis serve as interim head coach this past season, and Vista PEAK, which let Pat Rock go prior to the holiday break.

The changes leave the two current head coaches of Aurora Public Schools programs — Hinkley’s Robert O’Brien and Gateway’s Shane Ward — as the longest tenured coaches in the district with just one season apiece.

The next Rangeview football coach has some huge shoes to fill.

Gonzales has led the Raiders to five consecutive league championships, including winning the South Metro League title in 2014, and hasn’t lost a game league game since Sept. 25, 2009, a span of 36 games. He was selected South Metro League Coach of the Year this past season and his son, sophomore running back Max Gonzales, was tabbed the league’s Offensive Player of the Year in voting by league coaches.

In the past, Gonzales had stressed he’d like to coach until his son graduates from Rangeview as his daughter — all-state cross country runner Rikki Gonzales — did before moving along to the University of Northern Colorado.

In the 2004 season — just one season after taking over for Thelen — Gonzales led Rangeview to the 5A postseason for the first time since 1991 and did it when just 16 teams qualified as opposed to the 32 that currently make it in 5A. He guided the Raiders to 10 total playoff appearances in 12 seasons, including the past nine in a row. The postseason proved difficult, however, as Rangeview won just two of its 11 playoff contests in that span.

Rangeview’s two postseason victories came in 2010 against Boulder and Arvada West during a season in which Gonzales’ team went undefeated behind elite offensive talents in quarterback Jaleel Awini, running back Jonathan Mathews and wide receiver John Tidwell. The Raiders advanced all the way to the 5A quarterfinals before losing to Grandview to end an 11-1 season.

Gonzales has also added some traditions to Aurora prep football, including the annual Hog Wars strength and teamwork competition for city offensive and defensive lineman and introducing The Anvil traveling trophy to the rivalry with Gateway. The Raiders have won the Anvil from the Olys for six straight seasons.

Courtney Oakes is Sports Editor of the Aurora Sentinel. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or [email protected] Twitter: @aurorasports. FB: Aurora Prep Sentinel

DAVE GONZALES’ COACHING RECORD AT RANGEVIEW

2014: 7-3 overall (6-0 in South Metro League) (lost in 1st round of Class 5A playoffs); 2013: 6-3 overall (5-0 in Aurora League) (lost in 1st round of Class 5A playoffs); 2012: 6-4 overall (5-0 in Aurora League) (lost in 1st round of Class 5A playoffs); 2011: 7-3 overall (7-0 in East Metro League) (lost in 1st round of Class 5A playoffs); 2010: 11-1 overall (7-0 in East Metro League) (lost in quarterfinals of Class 5A playoffs); 2009: 6-4 overall (6-1 in Central Metro League) (lost in 1st round of Class 5A playoffs); 2008: 4-6 overall (4-3 in Central Metro League) (lost in 1st round of Class 5A playoffs); 2007: 3-7 overall (3-6 in Continental League) (lost in 1st round of Class 5A playoffs); 2006: 2-8 overall (2-7 in Continental League) (lost in 1st round of Class 5A playoffs); 2005: 4-6 overall (2-4 in Continental League – American Conference) (missed Class 5A playoffs); 2004: 7-4 overall (4-2 in Continental League – American Conference) (lost in 1st round of Class 5A playoffs); 2003: 5-5 overall (2-3 in Continental League – American Conference) (missed Class 5A playoffs)

Anthony Gomez

Guess Rangeview HS was tired of the old philosophy of winning (5 league championships) and producing quality young men wasn’t enough. Dumbest move I ever saw.

wtf r u stupid
wtf r u stupid
Reply to  Anthony Gomez

The league sucked you dumbass, get a clue

Anthony Gomez
Reply to  wtf r u stupid

Tires are flat on your house

Shannon
Shannon

We win because of our players. We have talent at Rangeview. You don’t see the coaches playing on the field. Rangeview will continue to be the best at everything in EMAC.

RANGEVIEWRAIDER
RANGEVIEWRAIDER
Reply to  Shannon

PREACH

Ashley
Ashley

It’s a shame they let him go….he started coaching there before my senior year…made my brother want to quit soccer and play football. Hopefully this proves to not be a mistake, but judging by how Rangeview has been since 05 it very well will be.

Manny

He was showing compromising preference over better players who eventually left the program for fair shots elsewhere

Reply to  Manny

And they became All State at their new schools? Give me a break. Parents will always whine about their kids playing time. Till its time to put up, or shut up.

Reply to  Anthony Gomez

One thing that I loved at the football banquets were how many boys received all-conference student-athlete academic honors. That meant more then my son’s defensive player honors. There’s more to life than high school football. My son is at Auburn University studying aerospace engineering. Coach Gonz stood firm on academics. He’s a good man

Reply to  cherz

He deserved better from his principal and AD.

Reply to  cherz

OH LORD.. Really? Both he and Anderson passed the track and football kids so they could play and they played favorites big time. Why do you think Awini couldn’t get through the AFA prep school? He couldn’t pass the classes because everyone was just passing him through. All the students knew that. Both he and Anderson need to go. Both of them played favorites and didn’t like anything they did questioned. Hopefully Anderson is on his way out too.

The Over-Achieving11thgrader

A lot of kids choose to be out of line with Mr. Anderson, and he only chooses those who are best for each part in a sport like any other coach. There is a difference in choosing the best and depriving the best.

Yeah…. not.

Grace Wyant Krenrich

You must not know Mr Anderson that well. That man is a horrible coach and teacher. He spent more time out of his classroom than he did in it.

Suprise-1
Suprise-1

Well coach Anderson treated my son like sh – – in football, in the hallways and on the Track field. It’s funny how when the players got the news of Coach Gonz dismissal they all had hoped it was Anderson that got the AX.

cherz

My son is in his junior year at Auburn University studying aerospace engineering. I don’t think Coach Gonz passed him so he could run track or play football. You’re also assuming every other teacher at Rangeview passed athletes to play. Many of the players received all league academic honors. You’re really stretching for excuses.

Reply to  cherz

Pretty sure I can name at least 20 kids that can verify my statement. We all had quite the conversation at a meet one day and I was shocked. Definitely not stretching.

cherz

Then take it to the district. As a parent, after 4 years of track meets and football games (2008-2012), I never heard anyone make that accusation. As a student (1992) Gonz was MY track coach and I never heard that accusation. It would have to be a school wide issue which would be more of a scandal than Mullen recruiting. Kids have at least 6 classes they have to pass each week to be eligible

Reply to  cherz

You might want to ask some of those kids that were on that track team during those years because my kids were on track from 2008-2013 and they were definitely saying it then. You have no clue the real reason why he was fired. It’s more than going in a different direction. Let’s be real.

cherz

Well obviously we were there at the same time and we have completely different experiences. The parents and kids I sat around NEVER mentioned it, even the parents of the kids who weren’t state qualifiers. I went to every single track meet and stayed from the start to the finish because the way the sprint relays are spread out. I was at every single football game. So I guess your truth is just as real as mine. My son says it’s an absolute lie that he let athletes pass. You and I have different experiences yet we were there at the same time. Neither of us know the reason he was REPLACED as the head football coach. He REMAINS a teacher and the track coach.

Reply to  cherz

That’s because you were with the runners. He as well as Coach Anderson crapped on the throwers. The very kids that scored the MOST points for the track team. Obviously you never made it to our side of the track.

cherz

By your last comment and obvious disdain for the runners, I’m assuming you never made it to watch the runners. Let’s not divide the track TEAM by sides. That’s a little petty don’t you think? One reason Gonz spent more time with the sprinters is because he is the sprint coach and has been for over 20 years, before he was the head coach. If he were a field event coach, I’m assuming he would’ve spent more time with that group. I did watch the throwers and other field events as some kids are good friends with my son, not to mention I just love track AND field. The field event kids are a good bunch of kids who worked hard. I assume their parents are good parents as well, parents who are involved in their kids’ academics as well as athletics. Some kids have even been to my house to hang out or get tutoring for AP Calc. If you remember, one of them (I’m not bringing names of students into this) gave her State medal away to an injured thrower who she thought deserved it more than her. THAT’S sportsmanship. And you’re right. I watched the field event kids but I was not over there enough to build a relationship with the families like I did the runners. And I’m assuming the same can be said for you in reverse. But again, Coach Gonz’s classroom teaching ethics have not been called into question. Nor has his ability to remain the sprint coach and head track coach. If they had been, he would be on leave as a teacher and removed from the coach position as well.

Reply to  cherz

Maybe your son was one of the students who truly passed the class but I am sure there are 20 kids I know of that can tell you that certain athletes were just passed so they could play.

Aurorastylee
Aurorastylee

If you believe this true. Then understand students have more then one or two teachers. Students have six..seven teachers. They all are not going to let player or even others pass for Football or other sports. Fact: 1.Awini underwent a hardship at the AFA and is keeping a good attitude. Awini leaned on former coaches and possibly has future at the college level because his perseverance. And this is one of many reasons the AFA will be under investigation for the next year or so. 2. Coach Anderson..Dean Anderson is As equal of a man of integrity, and core values as Coach Gonz. Grace please get your facts straight. Your post sounds mad, frustrated. I have been in your shoes. You can’t give other people power in your life over your emotions. If you don’t change that pattern you will never reach your full potential.

Reply to  Aurorastylee

Obviously you are biased and it’s laughable that you think Anderson is a saint. The kids I know could not stand him as a coach or teacher and stated that he plays favorites and watched him as he passed kids in their classes that should never been passed.
Awini should have been held accountable in high school and he wouldn’t have been out of the AFA Prep program in the first place.
Teachers in high schools and colleges all over the country have been known to pass athletes along for the schools. Teachers pass along students that can’t read all the time. I see kids that have graduated from high school that can’t read or write a cognitive sentence so take your head out of the hole you are hiding it in and open your eyes instead of defending a system that you assume is honest. It’s not.

Aurorastylee
Aurorastylee

You have every right to your opinion. Speculation at best. I have never been In those classrooms. I was at different program before coming over to Rangeview. I have seen first hand for myself. I am on the side line atgames, in the locker room. In the meetings. At the practices. I am there for the kids. To help keep a tradition of long standing coaches. I never said Dean Anderson was a Saint. But I guarantee you and this is a fact. Anderson is a God fearing man like myself. Gives over 500 hours plus of his time a year to the Athletes program for APS. And both Gonz and Anderson put another 1600 hrs teaching. And winning I may say the least. But not at all cost. Fact. The record stands for its self and these are big accusations. I hope can understand we are human. Nobody is perfect. Including myself Grace. I strive to be a better person, a positive man and some grace always helps to. Grace be blessed in all you are and all you do.

Reply to  Anthony Gomez

give your self the break, you already are keeping this as superficial as possible, I wonder why he got let go, open your eyes, I’m sure you feel pretty good then as well of cutting people’s fair chances for personal gain as well, that’s shows that non integrity, parents will whine, I would’ve demanded fairness as opposed to just wish it, and embarrassed anybody like you who tries to make it a shouting contest, logic is not your thing, people who are getting invited to training camps in other states they were so good, but unable to get time in their own school cause the couch wants his son to play more instead for example, I can go on, I’m sure it still makes no sense to you, find a dictionary or something maybe it will help your reasoning, or maybe a math class to see how things add up or not, still seems futile, another thing, I could see how with this attitude it could be hard to get fair treatment, this ain’t the military where I used to get in trouble for insubordination events defending what’s fair, I don’t care for your rank or who you think you are, I will tell you straight up if you are being unfair, and if you have my kids chances in the line, I would be felt, they don’t have depth, I wonder why

Reply to  Manny

Wow! Double expresso this morning? Read Neil Devlin in the Post this am, couch. Lol

Reply to  Anthony Gomez

Exactly my point I did, his son was the best on the team? ha that’s funny, and no, for me it’s just Tuesday I’m always like this fierce against unfairness

NoHorseInThisRace
NoHorseInThisRace
Reply to  Manny

This is hilarious! Please try using a “period”. I lost my breath reading your post.

Mr. Miller
Mr. Miller

Agree Tony! Talent does not win without great role models and leadership. These kids could not have had a better leader of young men. Gonz is more than just a coach but a leader and role model of integrity and core values. I have been around long enough to see some dumb moves by those in power. This tops the list. Sad day for Aurora and for education.

Reply to  Mr. Miller

We were just talking about him yesterday. He coached my son in football and track. My son’s 4×4 team broke the state record in 2012 and won state 2 years in a row. Heritage was upset that they came in 2nd at State and was SITTING on the podium. We were saying that Rangeview’s team wouldn’t even THINK about sitting on the podium because Gonz would not have it. He taught sportsmanship and respect.

Reply to  cherz

Too bad the coaches didn’t have that same respect for the athletes. I personally saw them turn up their nose to an athlete when their precious favorite didn’t win and another athlete from the RANGEVIEW team did. That is not sportsmanship or respect. It’s downright disgusting.

A long time resident.
A long time resident.

The football team has to beat two descent programs in the South Metro League. Heritage and Arapahoe. That got beat soundly by good teams (outside league play) last season from stronger conferences last season. A pattern that plagued the football program for years. Look at the records from 2005 when the school was in the Continental ALL LOOSING RECORDS. Then they moved into the CML and they go from 4-6 to 6-4. Then undefeated records seem to be the norm. Why???……… The EMAC and its past sister leagues are and still is the weakest conference in the state. Pathetic actually. Its home to the worse programs in the state of Colorado. It serves as an average conference for the boys basketball program but for lacrosse (one of states worse programs), golf, volleyball, swimming, wrestling and Girls basketball you can be bad and still be good. A rare case in high level competition witch high school is and should be. The only time there has been success versus teams outside the EMAC respectable conferences has been in Basketball. The Boys basketball program the past few seasons beat talented teams from Denver and the Springs. And the Girls basketball program last year won a huge playoff game versus an excellent Colorado Springs team the first playoff win for that program that I can remember and look to have a great season this year. However, the EMAC league is weak. Whomever the AD is Rangeview knows this much. And knows he/she can afford to find a coach who can beat at least two decent teams. The football team was extremely undisciplined last season stoping the run and simple assignments seemed difficult for the players and coaches to coach. Golf and volleyball has had some winning seasons but outside the EMAC league it has mostly tarnished what good should mean. Rangeview is school who takes great pride at being successful without being good. And finding good coaches does not seem to be a goal. Excluding the only two basketball coaches in the boys program from 80’s to the present. Being in a weak league keeps parents and kids happy but also keeps standards low. The football team will win league next year or at least having a wining record with whomever they hire for next season and most players and parents will be happy and content on the season not because of coaches or the players being any good but because of the weak league where everyone can enjoy success. If the schools athletic department doesn’t not care why should we? It doesn’t make a difference. Being in a weak league allows for parents, players and athletic directors to have low standards for competition.
They seem to not care so why should we?

Anthony Gomez

The AD didn’t make the decision. He was told.

Reply to  Anthony Gomez

The point I was making was how weak the league is. How teams at Rangeview can enjoy the winning without being very good. Rare for high level play. Coaching makes a world of difference when playing against high competition. At Rangeview students, parents and coaching take pride in having low standards for their sports programs. And in Colorado all football teams make the playoffs. If the AD did not make this decision then the AD is a pawn or has no guts, (only if he/she wanted the football coach to stay). and the AD should step down as that is extremely unprofessional for his superiors to ‘tell him’. The football coach spent at 12 years. Did the best he could for a school with no clear expectation for high level play. It heartless and unprofessional to not give a reason for a coach who spent that much time. Do you know if Coach G. was a teacher at Rangeview?

Anthony Gomez

Rangeview (and all the APS schools) has had excellent talent and coaching for years. On par with any school in the state. What they don’t have that the ‘southern’ schools have is depth. And come playoff time, it shows.
Coach is a world class lifter and has several strength and conditioning classes in the PE dept.

Reply to  Anthony Gomez

The results would say otherwise in regards to how his teams did in playoff time and against teams outside of a very weak league. This season his teams looked out of shape and not very strong in comparison to other teams. Do you think it was his teaching that got him fired?

Anthony Gomez

Some people only see wins and losses and think they know something about a program. Thats not what High School sports is about. Or shouldn’t be

Reply to  Anthony Gomez

High Schools sports should be highly competitive. And in most states is. Teaching students how to become successful should be at the top of everyones list. As long as certain values are not abused or compromised. After 12 years you can know a lot about a program by looking at the success of records.

Anthony Gomez

And after 12 years you see all the great young men who came out of that program, not just wins and losses

Reply to  Anthony Gomez

That is what you don’t and cannot see and I cannot argue against it. But it is common when hiring a good person witch most programs do have and seems to be the case at Rangeview. A good coach however does both and that should be the standard.

Anthony Gomez

Exactly! Finally you understand. Coach did both. He ran the type of program all coaches should!

Reply to  Anthony Gomez

Its not hard to understand that after 12 years a person could have impacted students in a good way. I for one have never of a coach not having impact on some students after even one season, and he has been there for 12. We all wonder what impact he would have had stay in the continental league. This article speaks of the 5 league champ. and 10 playoff tries. Only the league is the bottom of 5a and every team makes the playoffs, not sure one should be boasting those achievements. Losses to teams outside the league and 1st round losses where the norm. Some say he was more than a coach. How about being a coach? That should carry more value then anything. Then your getting advice from someone who has won time and time again under heavy competition and pressure. Your getting advice from a genuine leader. Witch holds more value when Teaching kids how to become successful. Has life is heavy competition and pressure. A leader who does not shy away from a tough league is paramount. The firing of Coach Rock was no different. His players did not improve. Sure coach Rock was likely a good person and had been a role model for his students. Both firing where deserving. Classless of APS in the how they fired the coach from Rangeview was evident.

Anthony Gomez

Read Neil Devlin’s article in the Post today.

Reply to  Anthony Gomez

“the 53-year-old, who was stunned at the news as well as by the timing, led the program for 12 years, was 68-54, made the playoffs 10 times, won his team’s past five league titles and was named 2014 South Metro League coach of the year. And he remained squeaky clean in the departments that count most.”

But not that he had credentials or anything …

I copied and pasted this from the article. Would we even be talking about him if they stay in CL and having 2-8 and 4-6 records. Would anybody put up with first round losses every season if not for the winning record from being in a weak league. People seem to claim he was a winning coach. He is by default. He had to be better then two teams. Only 1 season of getting past the first round. Remind you the first around is the 10th game of the season where everyone is in. And he LOST quite a few. Seems Neil Devlin is impressed with winning while not being very good as well students, parents and APS. Rangeview will win league next year without him and the next coach will be average but a good guy as well. Those types are everywhere.

cherz

If you don’t care for Coach Gonz, it’s perfectly ok to have your opinion. However, when you start accusing parents, students, and coaches of being ok with low standards, you have crossed the line. And I take personal offense to it. Let your argument stay with what you see on the field because that’s all you know and care about. Don’t use it as a sounding board to disrespect the thousands of parents and students who have worked with Coach Gonz over the past 12 years.

Reply to  cherz

If parents and coaches did have high standards then a demand to exit a very poor league would be at the top of the list. And celebrating mediocrity would be at the bottom.

Reply to  Anthony Gomez

Oh course he didn’t . Strouse, Anderson and Gonzales were all buddies. I am sure it didn’t come from Antollini either.

Anthony Gomez

Antolini retired last year. New district ad

Reply to  Anthony Gomez

Even still. They were all buddies. Clear them all out to include Strouse as nd things will be much better. Time to clean house.

Former raider
Former raider

This I’d true I must admit we ran an out dated system with a 3-4 3-5 defense which in fact that must teams are running teams in state like overland and cherry creek trail that both gashed them this year on the run. The offense has always been sub par if that running a pistol or read option offense with bruising back like his son that should be in I formation type but they should run spread offense like Ohio state that will still allow them to run the ball even though there wide receiver core is better than there back field even with all state awini, Matthews,smalldon he still couldn’t get them to state football wise he’s sub par. But a good leader

Reply to  Former raider

How can you be a sub par football coach but a good leader? …He was a losing coach until Rangeview switched to the worst league in the state. He would have been a god had they won any games against good programs and coaches.

truth
truth

Good riddance! he had his head so far up his ass, on to better and more positive things rangeview!!

Reply to  truth

Real positive there, Ruth!!!

bring back gonz
bring back gonz

Wtf really they fire coach gonz as head coach man all of my four years going there we considered one of the best teams in the district. >:(

A long time resident.
A long time resident.

That was my point. Nobody seems to care they lost in the 1st round every season. And take pride in winning without being very good. The SML and EMAC are fitted with 5a’s worse programs. Teams, students, coaches can enjoy the winning without being any good. How else can you explain Multiple coach of the year honors and league championships that amounted to nothing. The football teams enjoyed winning records once moving into a very weak league. Yet they were delt with the same outcome during the 1st round of the playoffs and for 2 of those 12 the teams didn’t not even make the playoffs. Back when only the top 16 made the playoffs. Now in colorado 95% of the teams make the playoffs.

bring back gonz
bring back gonz

We actually got past the first round three times when i was still attending rangeview not to mention the fact the he helped the produce mutiple players who went to great colleges on full ride scholarships.

A long time resident

According to the AS his teams only had playoff success once in 2009. Once in 12 years where he was in charge of the weight program and football program. Producing players that went to college on full ride scholarships occurs in programs across the state even the bad ones even with bad coaches. Having talent then and the not winning in the playoffs and getting blown out by teams that were not in the conference speaks poor leadership and speaks to prob why he was fired.

lol
lol

The district sucked so whatever

Oscar Orozco
Oscar Orozco

He was my football coach for 3 years before I quit due to an injury. And let me just say that I learned a great deal of discipline from this program. He was a great man who taught me a lot of things and helped me become more than i could ever be. He greatly valued family and even showed it on the field by helping us become a family. He was fantastic and a lot of what I learned from him I still use today. Thank you Coach Gonzales you will be missed

annon
annon

Rangeview would do better if their players actually put in work hopefully the new coach will make sure they all try their best.

Surprise-1
Surprise-1
Reply to  annon

How do you know they didn’t try their best, even if they did they didn’t get a chance to prove it. I can vouch for a few players that made it too every practice, worked their asses off blood, sweat and tears and didn’t get to step on the turf unless it was for warm ups or to slap the others team hand in good luck when the game was over.

haha
haha

weak league weak coaching haha what a sorry excuse for a coach

2008 graduate
2008 graduate

The problem is the league, Rangeview is filled with talent but not enough to face the Cherry Creek – Aurora schools (Grandview, Overland, Cherokee Trail, Eaglecrest.) That’s the toughest thing about it because other than Overland they are located in talent hot beds Even when playing the best teams outside the city. I only went to Rangeview for one year but met coach numerous times. He ran a great program, and made even better men. At the end of the day high school sports is all about politics. If the Rangeview administration wants better results then move the team out of the league their in and give the coaches the ability to produce better players with updated resources.

Danielle Gonzales

It is best to say that the negativity in the comments are coming from those who thought their kids were NFL players and didn’t actually have the talent. Coach Gonz stood for more than just football. He stands for respect, integrity and discipline. The kids that had the opportunity to work with him will take with them a piece of real sportsmanship. Whether they win or lose, they will have gained a prospective of what it really means to want more for themselves…..whether it be their education, athletics, family, etc. He has instilled manhood into those who didn’t have it from home. He has instilled discipline for those who lacked and he has inspired those who had no inspiration. Now for those who didn’t walk away from his program or his guidance with any of that, it’s unfortunate but you had to want it. Coaches are there to encourage, enhance skill, build and mold their athletes…but again, the athletes had to want it. You can have all of the talent in the world or the skill but if you don’t have the heart, it won’t matter. More kids have continued on in life with a positive take away from Coach Gonz’s direction and leadership. There will be very few to say anything negative about him and unless you know him on a personal level, leave your comments at a professional level.

A. Phillips
A. Phillips

Well said!!!!

Grace Wyant Krenrich

Well… I guess you didn’t see how he played favorites with his buddies and didn’t give equal time with the athletes that really had potential. Passing students so they can play is failing as an educator. Good for Rangeview.

Danielle Gonzales

What you have implied is unethical! Do you have facts?? Like I said, ignorant things will be said by those who don’t know. You have no idea what he has impressed on his athletes to be successful! It takes heart to take heed to strong leadership. Most don’t have it because it is unwillingness to work hard.

Grace Wyant Krenrich

Well I am sure I have at least 20 kids that can verify that and thought it was totally unfair when they were working on a grade and watched certain athletes fail tests; quizzes and homework and still get A’s and B’s in the class.

Danielle Gonzales

So you are saying that Coach Gonz influences other Rangeview staff to modify grades so players could play?? That’s a pretty serious accusation and in that case, you should take that up with administration because those instructors should be penalized!! That’s sounds like something that the Principal should be apprised of….but maybe he should be let go of too!!!

Grace Wyant Krenrich

Sure… go to his buddies to complain. That will work. You clearly are biased.

Danielle Gonzales

I have no desire to speak on non-confirmed information. Its all about facts. I speak on facts, not speculation, ideas, anger, frustrations or fabricated information. I am clearly speaking on the fact that a great coach and leader in the community has been dismissed from his coaching position. This should not include opinions of his son or what people think happened. Its one thing to speak on actual facts and interaction with him and its another to speak on what has been heard. That’s all that i have to say and its disappointing to see that a platform for actual intellectual discussion has turned into mud slinging opportunity.

The Over-Achieving11thgrader

And where did you get your facts from to say that people are being haters? Sorry but it sounds to me that your a hypocrite. The only facts you have are the one you recieved from what AS has stated huh? How Coach Gonz is such a great leader…etc. Unless your related to him you really don’t have a hear/say. Wait? Scratch that even if you were related to him, it makes a difference because your family(If). Also Grace Wyant Krenrich is right you are totally biased. You probably haven’t even looked at the whole life story of Dave Gonzales, and you o off of what the media tells you, yet you steady talking about stating facts. GOH

cherz

If you have a concern that Gonz or any staff member at Rangeview are falsifying grades for student athletes, I highly recommend you make an official complaint with APS. I know of players who have been benched due to grades. But I know more players who graduated and went on to college

Reply to  cherz

Players that were not first string or possible state qualifiers… give me a break. Sure… like Awini who couldn’t pass a class to save his life. Stop trying to convince me that this man is god like because he isn’t.

Kevin Lyster
Kevin Lyster

If this is the case then maybe CHSAA should investigate Vic Strouse!! He is the real problem. 30 yrs its time to retire.

Reply to  Kevin Lyster

Hear! Hear!
These things should always be audited! Keep the integrity of the school!

kickmetothecurb
kickmetothecurb

This is so true and Rangeview is known for these and they know it!!!!. It’s time to investigate all of the Coaches. GET EM!!!!

Tsavion
Tsavion

My name is Tsavion Jackson and I was a former football player I have nothing against him but I seen the favoritism towards his son and others I knew I was good enough to play especially the league we were in and I never got my chance so I went to Overland Highschool my sophomore year and at the beginning of the year coming into the best league in Colorado playing cherry creek Valor Grandview ect. I started for my first year and when we played rangeview I mean the score says itself but I had 1 interception plenty of tackles and some tipped passes maybe it is his coaching maybe it’s not either way I can see why some of these people are angry with him.

Raider for life
Raider for life

My name is Alex Mcfall I go rangeview high school currently. I have learned alot in the years I’ve been on coach g program. Like what it’s to be for a team and stand for something bigger then yourself. How important your character is everyday . Also alot from my coach Ryan since is was a freshman. Like Everything they said I was I was everything they said I could do I could do. I wouldn’t and this team wouldn’t what it was without them they will be sorely missed.

WTF
WTF

check out the second to last paragraph in this article about Coach Gonz, it shows his son being the best guy of the team, winning awards and all, I saw that dude play, and I always saw him on his ass, way faster, and more talented dudes on the team, like on track and weren’t getting playtime, I do understand what’s going on here, conflict of interest, some dudes can say goodbye to their opportunities (scouts and whatnot) or go to other programs

Reply to  WTF

Yea, i hate it when all state players get all the playing time! Ruined my chances for an nfl career!

Dawnie Davita
Reply to  WTF

Excuse me Mr. WTF….not sure why you have such anger in your spirit. The news must have brought back some flashbacks of some sort? It saddens me that you would speak on something you know nothing about. Max is not a conflict of interest … he has been blessed with athletic genes something you know nothing about. Hence the reason you’re so angry. Just let it go….. it’s not good to get all worked up over a man you will never be! Smile and be nice!

Reply to  WTF

Do you think Max gave himself the awards??? Don’t be mad because his talent, dedication and spirit was recognized and acknowledged. He’s a sophomore..two more football seasons to go in highschool. Give credit where credit is due…..heart, dedication, skill and a dad that is present with all of the same attributes! He will succeed at anything he does because of that!!

Grace Wyant Krenrich

The awards were given by his father and his father’s friends. Please

Reply to  WTF

Max might be a good player…he might not but he shouldn’t be put in this no matter how much people despise him. But a lot of my peers do find that suspicious.

Danielle Gonzales

Despise or envy? The hate is real and Max has nothing to do with this issue. But as part of the student body, you should understand that just because his dad is there…he can stand on his own. Coach isn’t on the field completing plays. Coach wasn’t part of the selection process to award his own son. Soooo….keep the blog to the facts and matter at hand. Did you play for coach??

The Over-Achieving11thgrader

No I choose not to. And i am stating a fact. Whats there to envy when there is a kid who plays starting varsity freshman year and he falls on his ass like his fellow football peers on the freshmen squad? It was a fact, kids told me this and i witnessed it because I,personally, didn’t believe them. They did find it suspicious. All I was trying to say was don’t bring Max into this for the sake of him. Sooooooooooooooo… anything else you wanna say?

q estupida eres
q estupida eres

Envy, you do realize again I said he sucks, hence I would not want to be him, just have fair opportunities, but you wouldn’t know anything about that would you, living in the savage reality of yours of unfairness

Danielle Gonzales

Well ..it took how many days for your dumb ass to respond so that tells us all something! Tell me your name so I can Google absolutely nothing on your void ass!

P-Romero
P-Romero

Dave Gonzales only ever had one thing going for him and that was power lifting. From 1985-2001 he received many awards at both national as well as international power lifting. For being in charge of both weight lifting and the football team you’d think Rangeview’s boys would be turning out huge and putting in the work. Additionally his academics were terrible. He’d sit there and have lesson plans but never really talked or “guided” the class. Good for Rangeview.

A. Phillips
A. Phillips

Being with Coach Gonzales since I was a student at MLK and Montbello has shaped a lot of my beliefs. Working so closely with the football and wrestling teams I got to see first-hand the positive influences he was able to bring to those young men. He wasn’t easy and pushes you harder than anyone has but life isn’t easy if you want to succeed you need people like him in your corner. Any school Coach Gonzales goes to will be lucky to have him. We sure were!

Grace Wyant Krenrich

They should have gotten rid of Coach Anderson. He is the problem with Rangeview.

The Over-Achieving11thgrader

Hold up now. How do you go from Coach Gonz being a favoritism coach, to Coach Anderson being a problem? A lot of students at Rangeview love him and I’m one of them. He is a dean who delivers the message that ignorance is intolerable and he teaches that if you give respect you will receive it. However you treat him, he will show you what it feels like on a professional manner. Lots of students love this man and consider him an inspiration.

Grace Wyant Krenrich

The three musketeers need to go. Strouse, Anderson and Gonz. They all played favorites all the time. I think a new start is in order.

The Over-Achieving11thgrader

Strouse maybe. But I can’t agree with Anderson.

Surprise-1
Surprise-1

WOW- really are you sure alot of students love coach Anderson hmm, ask most of the players and you will eat your words. That man treated my son like Sh – – and i guarantee you it was for NO apparent reason. He is a player and runs track my son is respectful, has never been in trouble and his academics are on point, so you tell me what was the problem, before you make a comment that it must’ve been the students fault. I’LL WAIT.

Reply to  Surprise-1

Not tryna be rude but you do realize that this discussion has been over for the past 3 days? I’m sorry if Anderson hasn’t treated your son well. So like it has been shown the discussion is over.

Surprise-1
Surprise-1

LOL- that’s all you come back with as a comment is that the discussiion is over, but no comment on Anderson, that’s why I said I’ll wait! The discussion will actually never be over as long as it’s on the web, and as long as people are able to comment. DUH… Just like you did while the discussion was over SMH.. By the way someone just made a comment 12 hours ago.

2fishandhunt
2fishandhunt

Something is being covered-up and the term psychological differences and change of direction are just blah, blah! Perhaps we will never know the true reason, was the decision made in a closed session of the school board?

kickmetothecurb
kickmetothecurb
Reply to  2fishandhunt

like this comment

Danielle Gonzales

Ignorance and unjustified comments will continue from the haters. Keep it coming with your aliases so no one will know the true identity of your weak persona. Take this with you, a true leader builds himself before he builds anyone else. Coach has succesfully built an astounding career that outlines ALL of his accomplishments which include his children, his lifting career, coaching and teaching. He has placed a huge stamp in the athletic community and regardless of what ridiculousness is said about him, he will rise above this situation with grace and dignity because he is a true leader!

The Over-Achieving11thgrader

Not hating or anything but, doesn’t a true leader admit their wrongs? Yea I get it we’re only human but any true leader, would see their mistakes, acknowledge them, then apologize.

Danielle Gonzales

What mistakes? Do you even know what happened or are you speculating?

The Over-Achieving11thgrader

The mistake he made that he made during the season: manipulating his power. As an adult, at least what us students are taught in everyday life, you don’t hold stuff over people’s heads. I’m Miss. Gonzales, no disrespect but, thats no true leader to me and I am definitely not speculating. I have nothing against this man and do you even know what happened because if you do please enlighten everyone so this debate can stop. Otherwise stop blaming it on the fact that adults and anyone else who states something, is mad because of a silly issues and/or is hiding behind a computer screen.

Danielle Gonzales

No debate….. The fact is, which this article shows, there was no real reason for the dismissal. Point blank. You can all state what you want and feel free to, just keep in mind that he does have a son that has to feel the backlash and has to deal with it as well. Put yourself in their shoes…..

wtf
wtf

Yeah, put yourself in our shoes, or in the shoes of those who had their opportunities trumped cause of this favoritism,i so whatever

The Over-Achieving11thgrader

My response to favoritism was not about Max. I’ve been in his shoes. That’s why I said lets not bring Max into this? Duh Reread what I said.

Danielle Gonzales

So let me clear it up for all of you commenting with some negative things…..you don’t know what happened and you won’t know what happened until the political BS is thrown out the door! You may have opinions, you may have ideas or speculate BUT I can gather that there are some disgruntled parents of hopeful athletes or students that have never said more than two words to Coach on this blog taking the opportunity to same some really ignorant stuff. Stick with what you do know (which is nothing at this point) and wait for the truth to come to light. Go back to your PTA group at Rangeview or your gossipy click that has nothing better to do but size up the staff that they have no interaction with and take it back a few notches. You’ll get your story and have the understanding that you need. Just remember, his name is Dave Gonzales and has been highlighted for many, MANY accomplishments.

Manny

Your views are biased, hence not fair, the facts won’t matter then as a result, there are people that have moved their household to get a better chance at another school, so no one cares for your “clearing it up” comments, and whatever BS you have to conjure to make sense of this, let people be and express their feelings, what’s done is done, and people can say whatever they dam well please, just like you are, ordering people to not say things, whatever, take that somewhere else

Reply to  Manny

Hit a nerve, did I???? I didn’t order anyone anything….I simply said to stick to the facts. And that’s what you should do.

Manny

Sure you hit a nerve, hence why it’s worth it to show you via facts as you state how he does deserve this, practice what you preach

Reply to  Manny

If it were me, I wouldn’t have let it get this far, and maybe it’s a learning experience for a more open door policy to allow disgruntled parents to communicate their dissatisfaction directly to the coach for improvement and possibly fixing the situation and him keeping his Job, of course now elsewhere, he would’ve heard from me if it was my child(in good faith of course), it was a Nephew for me, which I still wanted to communicate the unfairness to the coach for results, but was asked to keep my silence to not stir trouble, and I’m calling out those who stay shut against injustice as well, allowing this person to pretty much make fun of other people’s legitmate proffessional issues, cause she’s the upset wife-*/-*/-*/this could have been avoided, cause It’s not his overall work being attacked, nor his personal life, just the conflict of interest where he would demonstrate favoritism
PS with all due respect, stay on the point, it was a conflict of interest, no one is tripping on him like that, one of the last persons who we’ll believe in of course is his wife, get a clue, and that award for Max was under the favoritism circumstances, he would hardly allow others to complete plays although they were more elusive and stronger than Max, think about the facts, if he got it on legitamate merit than cool, but it was cause his dad who was trying to pad his numbers at other’s expense, if they worked hard, showed success, then they deserve to play and that wasn’t happening

Reply to  Manny

I’m not his wife but I hope you feel better and good luck to your nephew. Success to all in this situation including coach but his record shows that already.

drink a glass of wine and chil
drink a glass of wine and chil
Reply to  Manny

That’s right take it elsewhere and get it over it Danielle the truth has come out. Now let it be you can’t change it!!!!

kickmetothecurb
kickmetothecurb

It’s about time!!! At Rangeview High School it’s always been about FAVORITISM when it comes to sports whether its football or basketball. I’ve seen this for the last 10 years. It’s not about the students who are good at the sport or who are eligible. It’s all about students who have (F’s) and favorite to the coach. Maybe Palmer’s next??

A long time resident.
A long time resident.

Is Palmer the boys basketball coach?

kickmetothecurb
kickmetothecurb

Yes basketball coach and he sucks too!!!

Suprise-1
Suprise-1

Talk about favoritism, coach Palmer put the “F” in favoritism. SMH Like someone said earlier sports is all about politics.

kickmetothecurb
kickmetothecurb
Reply to  Suprise-1

Absolutely correct!!! players who were ineligible “F” got to play. This is why Rangeview Coaches are being investigated not only Football, Basketball Coaches as well. This is the Philosophical change think about it??? APS Administrators found out. DAHHH!

bellos
bellos

Well one thing for sure is it’s a shame , that are willing they let go a loyal and awesome coach I was with since middle school til he went to rangeview. But he is a great coach he was my wrestling coach as well. That should tell you how much time he put in to do the right thing. Thanks coach a true warrior at heart. J. Smith.

Danielle Gonzales

Danielle GONZALES, sister to Coach, aunt to Max. I’ve seen it all…..and am a witness to ALL of his accomplishments. Including the countless students who still hold him in high regard. The athletes who have become family and not all have been starters. The students who mimic his teachings. I am sorry to those who have felt slighted or left out but just know that all who have had the opportunity, had the opportunity to have a great take away. Much respect to those who have voiced your appreciation for Dave. There will be the select few of you that have something bad to say but we all go through that and have people that will discredit us in some way. Its OK….we are all allowed that. All that I ask is that your discussion is respectful and my nephew is not part of the discussion. Peace and God bless.

Red Rocks Rockin
Red Rocks Rockin

Neil Devlin’s article on this was a bit strident, but two things stood out in his commentary:
–“The 53-year-old — who was stunned at the news as well as by the timing — led the program for 12 years, was 68-54, made the playoffs 10 times, won his team’s past five league titles and was named 2014 South Metro League coach of the year.”
As others have pointed out, Rangeview’s recent success has largely come at the expense of extremely weak opponents–they dominate their league, but struggle against non-league teams. However, this is a socio-economic issue and outside the realm of an individual coach’s control. A coach can only do so much when the student body of his league is on rungs of that socio-economic ladder below those of the southern and western suburbs. They just can’t get the numbers that other schools can command, and the parents typically don’t have the financial resources to send their kids to camps (or don’t have the pedigree of being related to pro athletes like the kids at Valor Christian or Cherry Creek, for example).

–“But schools look small and petty when ducking behind no-comment policies regarding personnel decisions. If they’re a public school, why can’t they go public with their choices? And what does it do for the educational value? Kids are taught to run, hide and hope that everything will be OK if they close their eyes and hope real hard.”
He’s spot-on here. “We want to go in a different direction” without further elaboration is a passive-voiced cop-out. With the visibility that high school athletics have, it behooves the schools to provide concrete justification for these kinds of decisions, and live or die with the potential backlash. Doing otherwise sets a bad example for the very kids you’re educating, particularly in our increasingly risk-averse, atomized society.
Rangeview would do better to simply come clean as to *why* Gonzales was fired and deal with the consequences like adults.

Roberteen Bruce
Roberteen Bruce

My grandson played for coach Gonz on that 11 and 1 season in 2010. Coach is a marvelous man and my family thinks the world of him. We love you coach and support you. Oh and my grandson is on the path to graduate college this year.

Aurorastylee
Aurorastylee

I am truly shocked over this discussion that the Aurora Public Schools would go in a different direction? Rangeview is the only program that wins in this league. The other schools, Hinkley that once mirrored Rangeview with success over 20 years ago under Coach Pounder Central and Gateway under Coach Hoffman. Rangeview ‘s program inspired the others and lead the way in this once competitive league. I have been fortunate to have got to know Coach Dave Gonzalez over the last two years. Coach Gonz is one of the most upstanding leaders that the Aurora Public Schools has had the honor to produce and I can say honestly, I am thankful for his leadership and friendship. I have witnessed Coach Gonzalez integrity on and off the field and it should also not be questioned or doubted. I have never seen Coach Gonz over look anyone. Coach Gonz understands what it takes to compete in this world and also in sports. It take tuffness, integrity, willingness, smarts and most importantly a good attitude. Gonz is great judge of character and if your attitude isn’t in line with your effort then your not ready to lead. Grace stop being a victim. Become what you dream of being. Tsavion your attitude kept you from staying a Raider. You decided to leave. It was your choice. I am truly happy for your success. You have the option to be whom ever you want to be in life. Take the world by the horns. You are a talented football player. Make that signature an autograph one day. I am disappointed that the Aurora Public Schools decided to go another direction. Winning in this State is not easy. Aurora Public Schools is failing at four of its five schools in Football. It will be tuff to fill Coach Gonz shoes. I hope I get a chance to continue to help these youth become upstanding men.. leaders, as so many will look back, including myself and will say Coach Dave Gonzalez “Gonz” had a part in who I am and inspire to be. A role model, a leader, a man of Integrity, of values, a father a husband and a Coach. Raider Strong!

Reply to  Aurorastylee

Well said. He understood high school sports is more than just talent. It’s about integrity and respect. If you don’t show that to yourself, the team, or the coaches you don’t play. Just because someone has talent doesn’t give them an automatic starting position. They have to have core values because they are representing themselves and the school. This is a life lesson. Negative attitudes get you nowhere in life. Coach Gonz understands that. It seems like some of these commenters need that life lesson themselves. I am very blessed to have had coach gonz be a part of my son’s life for 4 years. He grew from a kid who just wanted more playing time, to a young man who understands the concept of teamwork, hard work, respect, and integrity.

Aurorastylee
Aurorastylee
Reply to  cherz

Well said cherz, Thank you for being involved with your son’s sports and growing to understand the culture that we as coaches try everyday to in steel to the player to be, the man to become. We treat our young men as if they were our own. With love. And some time tuff love. Some need more then others. Trust me. Sometimes it’s hard for parents to see the big picture. I congratulate you for your time and willingness. When I started coaching. I didn’t get paid. I volunteered. Over 200 hours a season. I am still thankful for the opportunity fours years later. I have under went a change myself. I owe a lot to Dave Gonzalez. I know the man appreciated what us coaches gave back to the program. He expressed it daily with encouragement and positive reinforcement. I have been honored to be a part of the program and I will carry what have learned in the years to come as a man and a coach. Thanks to Coach Gonz. I am positive that I will have a bright future. Thank you cherz. Your time, your energy and foresight reinforces the need for more coaches like Coach Dave Gonzalez. God knows Aurora needs it. APS needs it. Be blessed in all you do cherz.

Cpetry
Cpetry

Welp…how did that philosophy change work out?