ENGLEWOOD | Defensive end Antonio Smith is absent from the Denver Broncos’ organized team activities while prosecutors in Texas investigate a criminal sexual complaint against him.
Smith met with general manager John Elway, team president and CEO Joe Ellis and coach Gary Kubiak and they all agreed it was best for Smith to skip the voluntary workouts that began Wednesday.
Smith, 33, has not been arrested and no charges have been filed in the case. Sheriff Troy Nehls of Fort Bend County near Houston said a complaint was made against Smith in November and it was “sexual in nature.” His department’s findings were forwarded to prosecutors in February.
District Attorney John Healey last week said the investigation was ongoing and stressed the “complaint at this point is an allegation only.”
Smith, who had three sacks for the Oakland Raiders last season, didn’t tell the Broncos about the investigation before signing a one-year, $2 million contract on April 2.
The Broncos have said in a statement they only learned about Smith’s situation last week when the matter became public. Kubiak is expected to address the matter following Wednesday’s workout.
The Raiders released Smith in March to save $3 million and he quickly signed in Denver, where he was reunited with Kubiak, defensive coordinator Wade Philips and D-line coach Bill Kollar. Smith excelled under that trio’s tutelage while playing for the Houston Texans from 2009 to 2013.
Follow AP Pro Football Writer Arnie Melendrez Stapleton on Twitter: https://twitter.com/arniestapleton
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL