LETTERS: Aurora City Council should approve affordable homes to protect children

Editor: We know that safe housing is essential for the health of our community, especially the health of our community’s children. Yet, 1 in 3 Aurora families struggle to afford quality housing – a statistic that is worsening amidst the pandemic.

As a pediatrician who lives and works in Aurora, I regularly see families in need of housing in my clinics and in my neighborhood. While I am proud to help treat these kids’ medical conditions, working to prevent their illnesses and diseases is also a priority. Part of that prevention means safe homes that families can afford because housing stability is a key contributor to better health outcomes.

On October 25th, Aurora City Council will vote on a zoning designation that will allow Habitat for Humanity to build affordable homes in Havana Heights. It is a proposal that aligns with the City’s critical 2020 housing plan goals and with what my patients and their families need. I urge our City Council to grant this zoning designation.

—Margaret Tashjian, via [email protected]

None
None
1 month ago

Yeah pay my bills

Marie Myfanawy
Marie Myfanawy
1 month ago

As a life long resident of Aurora I support this project of Mountain View church and Habitat for Humanity. The housing crisis is something people of faith can address. My hope is that my own church and other places of faith will join with Mountain View and donate land on our campuses for the same purpose. Aurora City Council vote for the zoning change.

Kara M
Kara M
1 month ago

This sounds like an excellent opportunity for the possible future residents and the city of Aurora to work toward the critical goal of offering more affordable housing.

Nikki
Nikki
1 month ago

100% agree. I’m a clinical social worker. Housing stability is critical to mental wellness for parents and their kids! Our communities are in desperate need of more affordable housing options. I fully support this zoning designation by Aurora City Council.

Wendi Witter
Wendi Witter
1 month ago

I completely agree. As a teacher and school social worker, we know that stable housing supports children in school as well. It supports higher scores in reading and math, and supports stronger peer relationships and self esteem.

Roberta Coss
1 month ago

Thank you for your letter to the editor, Margaret! I recently purchased a condo in a safe, quiet neighborhood in Aurora. It cost about $100,000 more than it would have a few years ago. I believe that we need to have more affordable housing in Aurora. Aurora City Council members, please vote to approve the zoning change. This fits right in with Aurora’s plan and will benefit our children–our future!

Haley (Colorado Council of Churches)
Haley (Colorado Council of Churches)
1 month ago

The Colorado Council of Churches, along with our member churches and their congregants that reside in Aurora, support the Habitat for Humanity in this effort. Affordable housing is a justice issue, and a necessity in addressing the growing gap between wages and housing costs in Colorado. Housing is an essential need in the development of healthy people and communities and everyone should have the right to access it.