City of Aurora to hand out anti-theft gear for cars

AURORA | An Aurora lawmaker and city staffers will hand out gear Aug. 27 to mitigate the impacts of car theft, along with gun locks, drug disposal bags and other safety items.

Councilmember Juan Marcano said the “family safety check” events are specifically being held in parts of the city that are hardest hit by motor vehicle theft — this time, in west Aurora at the McDonald’s at 12900 E. Mississippi Ave.

“This way, people will be able to protect themselves so they don’t become victims,” Marcano said.

The giveaway comes as the city grapples with a rise in motor vehicle thefts — more than 4,200 vehicles have been reported stolen this year, according to Aurora police.

Aurora’s City Council has made addressing motor vehicle thefts a top priority, possibly becoming the first city to introduce mandatory minimum sentences for car thieves in city court this year. Marcano voted against the change, questioning whether it would be effective at deterring thefts.

Marcano said the family safety check is being funded using a police budget surplus caused by understaffing. In monthly updates to the City Council’s public safety committee, police have reported shortages of between 25 and 40 sworn officers out of a budgeted force of 744 this year.

Items that will be distributed on the 27th while supplies last include steering wheel locks, which prevent a car from being driven properly unless the device is removed; catalytic converter tags, which make converters harder to sell illegitimately and less attractive to thieves; prescription drug disposal bags and firearm locks.

Marcano said there may also be food at the event. The event, which is the sixth family safety check that Marcano has organized with the city’s help this year, will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“I think our last was our best attended by far,” he said. “My goal is to produce good results here and make it a permanent fixture for the department.”

5 1 vote

Debra MacKillop
Debra MacKillop
5 months ago

Thank you Councilmember Juan Marcano! I hope to attend, and love that you have made this an event that welcomes all and especially set up for families.

Erin
Erin
5 months ago

This is a great program. I attended the last event, Aurora Police officers also helped families install new car seats to keep babies safe, which is wonderful. This is the kind of crime prevention I want to see in my city – there were free wheel locks and catalytic converter stamps that will actually stop car theft, too, which is obviously more concrete and real protection for me and my neighbors than a theoretical “mandatory minimum sentence” on car theives who may or may not get caught at all. I’m less worried about punishing potential thieves than I am about keeping my family and my car safe in the first place, it’s easier and cheaper for me to use a wheel lock than it is to lose my car and then wait for the police to maybe find and arrest the kid who did it and then wait for a trial to then get justice – I’d rather not need all that at all, and just have a lock on my wheel, right? This is a really great project, I wish Council and city staff and APD did more of this kind of community event!

Hypocrisy Monitor
Hypocrisy Monitor
5 months ago
Reply to  Erin

You poor misguided girl. All these crime deterrents (not prevention) were available as car theft soared. Steering wheel locks can be easily defeated. Catalytic converter stamps do not “actually stop car theft.” None of this is new.

If you really want to keep your family and car safe, the only thing that has not been tried is turning up the heat on the criminals. But that is abhorrent to you because “criminal-friendly” is pretty much the mantra of the apologist left.

Erin
Erin
5 months ago

Go to back to bed, little troll. Your condescending bull**** doesn’t work on this grandmother. I ain’t your poor misguided girl, go bark up some other tree to find your squirrel.

I’ve seen you around and I see the kind of dumb sh** you comment, nobody invited you to this grown up conversation. I can tell you’re actually a child because you didn’t have children in the 90s that already lived through the failed “tough on crime” era, you didn’t already live and learn through that over simplified crock of shit. You aren’t helping yourself or your police officer heroes being a little ass*** on the internet, and your “big stick” idea of just threatening the criminals to death ain’t the big bad show you think it is. I ain’t “criminal friendly”, I know all those kids are just like you – whether it’s dusty little kids trying to prove they can make a buck on a dare to steal a car or edgey little hate-radio addicts like you trying to prove you’ve got the biggest big stick to punch the punks, you’re just trying to prove your a big – and that never works, you ain’t scaring nobody, not even each other and certainly not me. My car is safer today because I got a sticker and a wheel lock, and that is something that your little stick fight never did for me, so take it back to bed and dream on, kiddo.

Cecily K McCarthy
5 months ago

Thank you Juan Marcano and everyone else involved, this is so necessary and the steering wheel clubs are a great deterrent!

None
None
5 months ago

How about arresting the car thieves

Hypocrisy Monitor
Hypocrisy Monitor
5 months ago

Once again, criminal-friendly comrade Marcano blames the victims and places the onus on THEM to solve the city’s growing crime problem. The irony that the funding comes from understaffing law enforcement (created in large part by his anti-police sentiment) is palpable.

Bart Emanuel
Bart Emanuel
5 months ago

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The cops can’t even ID people who steal cars most of the time, so this is a better approach.

You might want to get that stiffy you have for our “comrade” checked out. It’s lasted much longer than four hours.

Doug
Doug
5 months ago

Outstanding!!

Fair and balanced
Fair and balanced
5 months ago

Hypocrisy Monitor sounds like a broken record. Go feel sorry for the carpet head criminal that you love so much. Let him do all your thinking for you, since you don’t have an original thought between your ears.
Thanks APD for your efforts in deterring crime. It is an uphill battle when idiots in this society believe leaders that think they have to commit crimes against others who don’t believe what they believe. Superiority complex for the inferior. Go help your grandma do her shopping. Go play ball with your kids or grandkids. Oh that is beyond you. You are too good for that. Enjoy your unhappy frustrating life, then die lonely and miserable. Better yet be a part of the solution not the problem. The choice is still yours, because this is still America. Bantering and lying doesn’t make it great again. Only actions of real people, (not puppets) do. Do something different a think for yourself for once.