NICOLE JOHNSTON: Aurora voters suffer from partisan scam pulled by Mayor Coffman and council Republicans

Being elected by Ward II constituents was one of the biggest privileges and responsibilities of my life. I ran for office because Ward II deserved the best representation of putting constituent needs’ first.  My focus was to be accessible, available and to bring ethics, transparency and accountability to our local government.

In April, I announced my resignation from the Aurora City Council.  It was incredibly difficult to leave before my term ended in December.  However, with the new job I had since February, the commute back and forth between Aurora and Colorado Springs between my childrens’ dad and me, it all had taken a toll.  With my children starting high school and middle school and the challenges that go along with that, I had to prioritize what was best for them and move to Colorado Springs.

I resigned June 14th. After working together for two years, Dr. Ryan Ross was ready to serve the constituents for the remainder of my term. In November, the voters will choose who they want to represent them.

Unfortunately, last night, Mike Coffman, who won his seat by 200 votes, had a victory.  When I was on the City Council, which is supposed to be non-partisan, I rarely publicly called out what party someone was affiliated with.  This entire process has demonstrated extreme partisanship so I will call it as I see it.

Mike Coffman and the Republicans on the City Council blocked Dr. Ross from serving.  Mr. Sundberg, a person I would never support because our values do not align, who donated to President Trump’s 2016 election campaign and is in lock step with Mike Coffman, was who the Republicans wanted to serve Ward II. An appointment would have given him the advantage of incumbency since he is running for election in November.  Fortunately, Councilmembers Lawson, Hiltz, Murillo, Coombs and Marcano prevented that from happening.  The city charter is now violated and Ward II does not have equitable representation as the other wards.

Where do we go from here?  Ward II has several candidates and until the end of August when the  process of getting on the ballot is official, there will still be more people who could enter.  The municipal election in November means we have five seats open that include Wards I, II, III and two At Large.  Check out the Campaign Finance Reports that will be out next week, see who Mike Coffman is endorsing and think carefully about who would represent his special interests and would be beholden to him or who would represent our neighbors.

I still hold out hope that good people can be in office and good work can be done but we have to do more than vote.  Get involved.  Aurora is where you live and you deserve the best representation.

Nicole Johnston is the former Ward II Aurora city councilmember and lives in Colorado Springs.

FeelingsAreNotFacts
FeelingsAreNotFacts
1 month ago

Please stop saying “we” and “our.” You are embarrassing yourself.

You abandoned your constituents without finishing your term. You left the ward and OUR city. You can now focus on destroying your new home, Colorado Springs.

The only “partisan scam” here is your failed attempt to move the Aurora council farther left and now stack an upcoming municipal election with your political party. Again, sit down.

Debra MacKillop
Debra MacKillop
1 month ago

you comment on every letter and always the same attacking insulting comments but never any facts or real info about the topic and never helpful in understanding the issues, just another troll it seems

Dennis Duffy
Dennis Duffy
1 month ago

You are like a bad penny, you keep coming back but are still worthless. Go away and Stat away, quit whining. You moronic hypocrite…..

1 month ago

Are you kidding me? Another letter from Colorado Springs and the Sentinel still reports it. I said it before that Johnston and the Sentinel are just full of shame.

Now Johnston tries to tell us why she thought she had to leave our City. The only fact is that she voluntarily left. Shameful in retrospect but good for the citizens of Aurora.

Now the good news. After November, we will never hear of or from her again.

Beau
Beau
1 month ago

So many angry old, white men in these comments. The death rattle of the right gets louder and louder, but you can’t stop progress.

Jackson
Jackson
1 month ago
Reply to  Beau

You grumpy old farts think Nicole should’ve shirked her parental priorities in order to sit on this ridiculous Council to serve you thankless, ignorant, disrespectful Trump sycophants? I’m betting none of you actually have enough civic interest to even get a Covid vaccine. Spare us your feigned outrage and return to your LazyBoys in front of your tv’s locked on FoxNews–and STAY THERE. YAWN.

dean
1 month ago
Reply to  Beau

WOW The Sentinel moderators let this racist statement fly. Yet hold my thoughts from the pages posting. Talk about cheesy, and you call your operation “Trusted, fearless journalism”…

FeelingsAreNotFacts
FeelingsAreNotFacts
1 month ago
Reply to  Beau

How are you privy to the age or ethnicity of the commenters? The old, white man I know for sure on here is Arnie, who wrote the letter to the editor today. And he is one of yours.

Debra MacKillop
Debra MacKillop
1 month ago

Get rid of #CorruptCoffman. Managing anything by him always brings chaos, division, lies, disinformation, and his attempts to keep it sensational and viral on him so he can remain in power, and he is incompetent with no agenda or plan for helping Aurora move forward in a positive way that helps ALL AURORANS. I watched him run away from his town hall in Jan. 2017 and not be interested in any of the concerns of the 200+ people waiting there for hours to talk to him (esp. about his efforts to take our healthcare away – I was there), and then he became mayor and decided to do a “fake dressed-up like homeless person for a day” stunt to make the homeless concerns the scapegoat for anything he wanted to blame on them, with absolutely no caring and putting out a camping ban that has already been found in Denver by court to be unconstitutional and inhumane, criminalizing homelessness and making their problems worse, with every human services agency and the WHO calling camping bans or any laws that criminalize homelessness and poverty the worst approach out there. Cruel, self-serving, uninformed – in a short time he has created hate and gridlock in Aurora and seems glad for it.

Norma Duncan
1 month ago

I so agree with you on so many levels of your statement! Need to get rid of Mayor & I’m sure many more things can get done.