AURORA | Prosecutors have filed 18 charges — including two counts of first-degree murder — against a Denver man arrested after a triple shooting in Aurora that left two dead last week.
In addition to the murder charges, Kenneth Mackey, 42, is charged with attmepted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, aggravated robber, burglary, and motor vehicle theft. Mackey, who has a 10-page arrest record that dates back two decades, is also facing several counts of committing an act of violence and being a habitual criminal.
Mackey was arrested last week in connection with the Nov. 26 shootings in the 1400 block of Lima Street. The shootings left Gregory McCoy, 46, and Martel Cornelius Thomas, 65, dead, and a woman wounded.
Police said Mackey and McCoy went to the home at 1437 Lima St. and confronted Thomas and a woman there.
Gunfire erupted and McCoy was killed inside the house while the woman, whose identity has not been released, was wounded. Thomas fled but was shot and died in an alleyway behind the home, police said.
Police said Mackey stole Thomas’ Cadillac and was later arrested in Denver. He is being held without bond at the Arapahoe County Jail.
Court documents in the case have been sealed.
Prosecutors formally charged Mackey on Tuesday. He is due in court again Dec. 19.
At the time of the shootings, Mackey was free on bond following his May arrest in Denver on attempted murder charges.
In that case, Denver prosecutors say Mackey tried to shoot his girlfriend and her brother but failed when the gun didn’t fire.
According to state records, Mackey has a lengthy criminal history dating back to 1990. His 10-page arrest records includes arrests on assault, drug possession, child abuse and other charges. In 2000 he was charged with felony murder in Denver but those charges were later dropped.

Looks like those new gun laws are working as promised