AURORA | An Aurora man who founded a charity that helps homeless kids was convicted last week of 22 counts of sexual assault on a child.

Richard Lee Koca, Sr., 71, faces at least eight years in prison and possibly life behind bars after an Arapahoe County jury convicted him of assaulting a young male several times.

Richard Koca Sr.
Richard Koca Sr.

Police said Koca founded Stand up for Kids in 1990. The national non-profit helps at risk and homeless youth. Prosecutors said Koca was also a children’s photographer.

Deputy Cara Morlan, who tried the case, said in a statement that the victim showed remarkable strength by coming forward. “For more than three years, the victim kept silent regarding the repeated and ongoing sexual abuse he suffered at the hands of the defendant.  The strength and courage this child demonstrated in not only coming forward and reporting the abuse, but in facing his abuser during trial is remarkable.  He and his family placed their faith in the system to achieve justice and hold the Defendant responsible for his actions, and the verdict today is proof that justice has prevailed.”

Koca is scheduled for sentencing Sept. 19.