LETTERS: Overturning Roe v. Wade isn’t ‘pro-life’ at all

Editor: I have long found the abortion debate reductive, as the catchphrase argument “my body, my choice,” fails to get at the heart of the matter. For myself, the issue is less about how carrying a child will affect my body, but rather how equipped am I financially and socially to raise a child from birth and into the rest of its life? As a Catholic my church leaders, being presumably celibate men, have not experienced the realities of these choices, and the deep emotions that accompany such a personal reality.

So, for me, overturning Roe v. Wade, has done remarkably little to advance the “pro-life, pro-family” agenda. What the court might have done instead, is to ensure that children born into the United States have the lifelong support and care they need, access to early education, affordable housing and healthcare, and parents that are able to attend to them rather than working multiple jobs in their crucial early years of development. Or, the church could provide these supports, and leave the courts to decide state matters. Just a thought.

Jennifer Roberts, via [email protected]

Wrestling Mom
Wrestling Mom
1 month ago

How about adults taking personal responsibility and think more seriously about the ramifications of casual sex and who it effects. No one and I repeat No one has the right to decide to kill another han being especially one that cannot defend themselves. We need to go back to teaching morals and consequences of our actions. I am grateful for the decision and am even more grateful for a President who put in motion the rights of the unborn. Thank you President Trump and the Supreme Court.

1 month ago
Reply to  Wrestling Mom

You can wish all you want, but the fact remains that many so-called adults do not take personal responsibility for anything, including their own children.

Jennifer Roberts
Jennifer Roberts
1 month ago
Reply to  Wrestling Mom

As I mentioned, I feel that the conversation around abortion is reductive. This article explains what happens when other women with disabilities have the same issues I do, married or not. I believe that it is important to love and support all people, even after they are born.

Gened
Gened
1 month ago
Reply to  Wrestling Mom

How I wish that Rs cared as much for women and children after the birth than they for the zygote.And remember that your orange crime boss was pro-choice before he read the tea leaves and conned the fundamentalists.

Gilead, here we come.

Remember in November.

1 month ago

I feel for the unwanted children who will cause to be born by this decision. They will never have a fighting chance at a decent life.

Good Citizen
Good Citizen
1 month ago

A perfect opportunity for women to take complete control of their bodies and tell men to hit the bricks when they ask for sex. In addition, it is my hope that women begin to defend themselves in reference to those that would force themselves on them. Carrying a gun at all times is an option and a hell no backed up with firepower is a great answer. You (women) are the only ones that have anything to lose in any relationship with men. Your best option is to avoid them as much as possible. Like most people, they can’t be trusted, but they have the additional problem of being walking sperm banks. Steer clear and solidify your freedom from slavery.