Aurora council nixes city sales tax on diapers

AURORA | Aurora’s City Council voted for a final time to eliminate the city sales tax on diapers Monday, making Aurora the first city in Colorado to waive local sales tax collections on both diapers and menstrual products, according to sponsor Curtis Gardner.

“This is a companion ordinance that really helps families in our city … both those with infants and then also adult diapers as well,” Gardner said. “This really does have a wide-ranging benefit in our city.”

The council voted to lift the 3.75% city sales tax on tampons and similar items in 2021.

Gardner also framed the measure in the context of a Colorado House of Representatives bill that would waive the state sales tax on diapers and menstrual products, a goal that has earned bipartisan support.

Council members voted 6-3 on Monday to waive the sales tax on diapers and adult incontinence products, with council members Danielle Jurinsky, Angela Lawson and Dustin Zvonek voting “no.” Councilmember Francoise Bergan was absent.

Jurinsky and Zvonek both said they would support a broader tax-cutting measure but not Gardner’s targeted cut, which Jurinsky characterized as arbitrarily “cherry-picking” an item to exempt from the tax.

“My hope is that, instead of creating yet another carve-out in our tax code, that we would look at a way to have a comprehensive, across-the-board reduction,” Zvonek said, adding that a broad cut would allow residents to keep more money while encouraging people to shop in the city.

“I understand and I truly do sympathize with the desire to try to lower the cost of living for our residents, but I don’t believe that this is good policy. It might be good politics, maybe. But I think it’s bad policy,” he said.

Gardner said he was “somewhat flabbergasted that the supposed fiscal conservatives on council do not want to support a tax cut that will benefit, essentially, everyone in our city,” including young children and the elderly.

Council progressives also supported the measure — Juan Marcano said he thought the council could do more to ensure residents are making a living wage but that he saw the waiver as “a little bit of harm reduction” that “could do some good.”

According to information included in the council’s agenda packet, the waiver will cost the city around $575,000 in lost sales tax per year. The waiver is scheduled to go into effect June 1, 2022.

Roberta Johnson
Roberta Johnson
2 months ago

I don’t think the Aurora Council Members know they’re arse from their elbows. They all need to look deep in their mirrors and get off their high horses. At least Jurinsky and the bearded wonder got a taste of their own medicine last night from some public speakers who blasted them verbally.

doug
doug
2 months ago

I think I’ll look that up. Aurora TV must have it recorded!

2 months ago

Watched the tape last night of the “public speakers” who did the blasting. What a lineup of simpleton’s. If you see it, you can see why I do not like the socialist bent of the Aurora citizens. Arnie Schultz who you can’t understand what he is saying and now he wears a mask to muffle what he says. The new Omen who just continues to verbally threaten the Council with violence because he doesn’t get his way. Missed the name of the foulest public mouth in Aurora, threatening our Council except the socialists. John Ronquillo, a socialist Council loser in the last election saying how upset he is with the Council. A lineup of our ex-chief lovers who can’t accept her firing. And finally Candace Bailey who signed up and didn’t decide to speak, thankfully.

If you watch it with an open mind, you will join me in my effort to eliminate socialist minded people from having any power in Aurora.

Kelly White
Kelly White
2 months ago

If you cannot afford the costs of babies, don’t have them

doug
doug
2 months ago
Reply to  Kelly White

Easy to say impossible to enforce lol

Jeannine Sawicki
Jeannine Sawicki
2 months ago
Reply to  Kelly White

Oh please Kelly when is life ever that simple?!

Marina Teramond
2 months ago

Quite frankly, I think that it is an absolutely smart and right decision which will contribute to improving the lives of city residents to some extent. I think that any measure has a value and can be a foundation of considerable changes. Of course, such improvements can contribute to developing higher purchasing power and higher demand for these goods. To tell the truth, I agree with Zvonek’s opinion regarding cost of living to some extent and I think that this is not so rational to lower it because it can entail certain negative consequences which we may not suspect. Maybe, it is more right to implement this gradually and be guided by reasonable strategy. For me, the supposed fiscal conservatives on council think only about their welfare and profit because I really can’t understand their attitude to the tax cut.