AURORA | Amid rampant disinformation on a variety of controversies the Sentinel will offer readers a close look at a wide variety of allegations and assertions, allowing the public an account based on facts and evidence rather than rhetoric.

No proof of Border Patrol chief’s allegation that local media tipped off immigration activists

THE CLAIM: Border patrol officials said Feb. 6 that unnamed Colorado media tipped off local immigration activists about the Feb. 5 raids in Denver and Aurora, endangering federal agents involved in the operations.

On Thursday, U.S. Border Patrol Chief Michael Banks told a FoxNews personality that a local news media group tipped off unnamed activists about the Feb. 5 raids.

Border Czar Tom Homan made similar claims during an Fox News TV interview Thursday, providing no details for his claims.

Because of the leaked information, activists were able to prevent agents from ICE, DEA and ATF from finding and arresting suspects they said are undocumented immigrants involved in gangs and drug trafficking, he told the FoxNews personality.

Banks did not disclose on FoxNews which media outlet or outlets he believed knew in advance about the Feb. 5 operations or which of them leaked it to activists. He also did not disclose who within the Trump administration allegedly leaked details about the raid in advance to a local media outlet.

THE FACTS:  Local activist groups denied the allegation. Numerous group leaders told the Sentinel Wednesday that they have been organizing for potential immigration raids by federal agents for four months, anticipating the raids since Trump brought an anti-immigration campaign rally to Aurora in October, according to members of the Colorado Rapid Response Network.

Activist groups have collaborated on their efforts recently, especially since last week when Trump administration officials announced that a planned Aurora raid would be postponed after NBC News leaked to the public the raids were planned for Jan. 30.

Volunteers of more than seven different local activist groups have been conducting “Know Your Rights” training with immigrants and members of the community and spreading the 24/7 Colorado Rapid Response Network hotline with immigrants and other community members. So-called “Rapid Response Activists” said they utilize continuous learning and community engagement to keep people informed and safe in the case of mass deportations. They say their mission is to ensure that immigrants living in Aurora and the region are not arrested without just or legal cause.

Local Democratic lawmakers have been sharing the “Know Your Rights” information and hotline with community members. And several local media, including 9News, have prominently offered the ”Know Your Rights” tips.

When President Donald Trump announced after taking office that his administration would immediately begin mass deportation operations, activist volunteers say they stepped up their operations and began to sleep overnight at known target locations. The plan, according to numerous activists contacted by the Sentinel, was to act as witnesses and verify if non-warranted immigrants were being taken in raids.

For weeks, activists say they have prepared shifts and had people on call to ensure volunteers would be available instantly during a mass raid in the metro area.

Activists and other community members tipped off the Sentinel about the raids early Feb. 5 when they heard them begin in a parking lot of an apartment that was targeted in the operation. Regional DEA officials issued a social media post on X at 7:04 a.m. Feb. 5, announcing the first raid, which had begun approximately one hour before the post. Despite not offering any evidence of such a leak, Banks told FoxNews personalities he would press to “black out” the media from further immigration raids and operations.

Banks did not make clear why he was linking an alleged intelligence leak to the media with precluding journalists from covering raid operations.

Homeland Security officials did not respond to multiple requests for comment. 

— Cassandra Ballard, Sentinel Staff

‘Hundreds’ of Trans de Aragua gang members not arrested in Aurora and Denver raids Feb. 5

THE CLAIM: Federal agents from the Drug Enforcement Agency, Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearm Agency and Homeland Security arrested more than 100, or hundreds of immigrants Feb. 5 in the metro Aurora-Denver area operations all linked to the Venezuelan Tren de Aragua gang. The allegation was made on at least dozens of social media accounts and promoted by some agencies claiming to be journalistic news organizations. Rochester, New York radio station WHAM 1180 promoted this post on X: “U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) arrested more than 100 alleged members of the Venezuelan gang Tren de Aragua during a series of raids in Aurora, Colorado, on Wednesday.” The post links to a story summarizing the claim and refers to a Daily Mail story that does not make that claim. Other journalism-like sources, including FoxNews, made similar claims or statements by technical staff or on-air personalities.

THE FACTS: While DEA officials announced on social media when launching the raids that they were seeking more than 100 people they believe are linked to the Tren de Aragua gang, they did not say if any of those suspects were arrested. None of the agencies involved in the raids have as of Thursday afternoon released any details about who was contacted during the raids, who was arrested, and what they were arrested for. These federal agencies have come under criticism from civil rights organizations and immigrant rights organizations for not being transparent nor accountable for how their determination of TdA association is conducted. The Sentinel published a story in December illustrating how two Venezuelan immigrants swept up in a shooting case at one Aurora apartment were identified as linked to a gang by federal agents while local police denied the association.

— Cassandra Ballard and Sentinel Staff

One reply on “FACT CHECK: No proof of media leaks or claims of arrests in Aurora, Denver immigrant raids”

  1. Tragically, the Trump administration and Fox News can say whatever they want to say and half of America will believe them. No facts required. Hopefully there will be a mass awakening and a return to reason when those people start feeling the impact of Trump’s insanity on their own lives and livelihoods. I say that to friends and family and they say I’m giving America too much credit. I have to believe the brainwashed among us will see the light, though. Because what becomes of us, otherwise? I’ll keep on keeping the faith. It’s all I have.

Comments are closed.