DENVER | A Colorado resident is being treated for the pneumonic plague, the first confirmed case in the state since 2004.
The state health department said Wednesday that tests confirmed the plague in the unidentified patient as well as the family dog, who recently died unexpectedly. The plague is spread by fleas from rodents, especially prairie dogs, and officials say they may have contracted it in eastern Adams County.
The department isn’t saying whether the patient is a man or woman but confirms the person has been hospitalized. Officials are looking for people who may have had contact with the patient so they can be treated with antibiotics.
Pneumonic plague is caused by the same bacteria as bubonic plague but it attacks the lungs and can sometimes be deadly even when treated.