AURORA | A look at some of the key games, tournament and happenings in Aurora prep sports between April 16-April 22, 2015:
• A big Centennial League girls soccer doubleheader is slated for April 16 at Legacy Stadium as the early group of four contenders for the league title get together (weather permitting). In the 5:30 p.m. opener, league-leading Grandview is set to face Smoky Hill in a battle of teams that tied 1-1 last season, while the nightcap features second place Cherokee Trail going against Mullen. In a vital EMAC matchup, Rangeview and Hinkley face off at 6 p.m. at Aurora Public Schools Stadium.
• Grandview is set to play host to Smoky Hill at 5:30 p.m. April 17 in a key girls lacrosse battle, weather permitting, as the two Aurora teams meet at Legacy Stadium. Both teams need a win in Centennial League play.
• The Robert F. Caviness Invitational track meet returns at 9 a.m. April 18 at Aurora Public Schools Stadium, as the meet founded by late Hinkley track coach Bob Caviness is scheduled to be contested for the 59th time (weather permitting). The Thunderbirds have owned the meet the past two seasons, winning both the boys and girls team championships. Aurora Central, Gateway and budding Vista PEAK are scheduled to be among nine teams competing. Meanwhile, the Grandview Invitational at Legacy Stadium boasts a 20-team field that includes the host Wolves, Cherokee Trail, Gateway, Regis Jesuit and Smoky Hill.
• The Colorado 7 girls tennis tournament is slated for April 18 at Utah Park, with Vista PEAK among the eight teams battling it out head-to-head for league bragging rights. The Bison have rolled along in dual match play with a 7-0 mark.
• Regis Jesuit plays host to Cherry Creek at 5 p.m. April 18 in boys lacrosse in a rematch of last season’s Class 5A state championship game. The Raiders (8-1) won that meeting for the state title, but dropped the regular season contest to the Bruins (8-0).
• A new set of Centennial League baseball back-to-back sets open April 21, highlighted by Cherokee Trail playing at Grandview at 4 p.m. The teams play again on April 23 at 4 p.m. on the Cougars’ home field. Eaglecrest plays Arapahoe, Smoky Hill gets Mullen and Overland takes on Cherry Creek.
• The Regis Jesuit boys swim teams visits Cherry Creek’s new pool for the first time April 21 with the Raiders looking to make a big splash against a Bruins team that got the better of them at the Coaches Invitational. The high-powered dual meet is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.
Courtney Oakes is Sports Editor of the Aurora Sentinel. Reach him at 303-750-7555 or [email protected] Twitter: @aurorasports. FB: Aurora Prep Sentinel