Black girls held at gunpoint in Aurora, mother sue police

Screen grab from a video taken by Jennifer Wurtz depicting Aurora police wrongfully arresting a family with children.

DENVER | Four Black girls who were mistakenly detained by police at gunpoint over a suspected stolen car filed a civil lawsuit against police and the city of Aurora on Monday.

The case was filed in state court which, under a police reform bill passed amid protests over racial injustice, would allow the five officers named in the suit to be held financially liable for any judgement awarded in the case. One of the girls’ mother, the driver of car that turned out not to be stolen, is also a plaintiff in the case.

The incident in August 2020 attracted national attention after a video of the four girls being detained — some in tears — was posted on social media.

Aurora police apologized after the video taken by a bystander showed the girls in a parking lot with the 17-year-old and a 12-year-old lying on their stomachs with their hands cuffed behind their backs. A 14-year-old girl was lying next to the 6-year-old also on their stomachs next to the car.

The traffic stop occurred in Aurora, where officers are also being investigated following the death of 23-year-old Elijah McClain after he was placed in a chokehold last year.

0 0 vote
Its5oclocksomewhere
Its5oclocksomewhere
1 month ago

Horrible story. Glad police will be held accountable. PS. Glad the headline tells us the race. Hopefully Sentinel will be consistent and always report the race in its crime headlines.

DENNIS C DUFFY
DENNIS C DUFFY
1 month ago

Well this will have a chilling effect on police, might be good though hard to say …. bad judgment should not be rewarded but not sure if it should be punished severely or not. I think courts will decide fairly after they hear the facts.

john wilson
john wilson
1 month ago
Reply to  DENNIS C DUFFY

I’m surprised cops are still even doing self initiated action, they are are making a mistake if they do that in Colorado.

Doug King
1 month ago

and so it goes. I see no problem with this. Wonder if a fund shouldn’t be available to try and avert lawsuits ahead of time…

Red B
Red B
30 days ago

I have always been supportive of the police, and have always loved visiting beautiful Colorado. But I’m now haunted by footage of little girls lying on their stomachs with guns pointing at them, crying, “I want my mother” and “please can you put me next to my sister.” I’m disgusted that you have such people on your “police force.” All decent Americans should be disgusted by Aurora, Colorado.

Any of you who find excuses for these police PLEASE take one minute and imagine how you would justify this if the little girls had been white.

john wilson
john wilson
30 days ago

If this lawsuit succeeds, it will open a flood gate of frivolous lawsuits costing officers and greatly reduce most legitimate self initiated and other enforcement action. The result is what happens in all Democrat states/cities, higher crime.