Chemical in food sends 4 at Colorado Qdoba to hospital

133

GLENWOOD SPRINGS |  Food contaminated with a chemical at a Colorado restaurant sent four people to a hospital.

The female customers of the Qdoba Mexican Grill in Glenwood Springs were treated and released Thursday, Valley View Hospital spokeswoman Ashley Worthington said Friday.

Employee error caused a chemical to get into a food product, said Michael Scott, owner of the Flavors West franchise company that operates the Qdoba location.

Scott did not specify the chemical but said the contamination happened during a shift change. The restaurant closed immediately and patrons were told to go the hospital, Scott told the Glenwood Springs Post Independent.

Two people sought treatment at Valley View Hospital after eating white rice. Two others who sought medical care did not experience symptoms or eat white rice, according to Garfield County health officials.

The restaurant reopened Friday following a health department inspection, Scott said.

Health officials believe it was an isolated incident, county public health specialist Carrie Godes said in a statement.