Romanoff goes on the offensive against Coffman at Denver Post 6th CD debate

DENVER | Democratic challenger Andrew Romanoff took 6th Congressional District incumbent Rep. Mike Coffman to task during the third formal debate between the two candidates held at the Denver Post Auditorium Tuesday. It was a role reversal from the previous debate hosted by the Aurora Chamber of Commerce where Coffman was the one who pounded the table over Romanoff’s history of taking money from political action committees.

Throughout the debate Romanoff remained on the offensive, pointing to what he called his opponent’s inconsistent and “indefensible” voting record. Coffman has been Aurora’s 6th Congressional District incumbent since 2009.

“You said you support reductions in carbon emissions but have voted against nearly every measure that would produce that result,” Romanoff said. “You said you support immigration reform, but oppose the Senate bill the House bill, and have called the DREAM Act a nightmare. You said you support access to birth control but have voted to restrict and even criminalize it. My question is what does the word support mean to you?”

IMG_3991.JPG
U.S> Rep. Mike Coffman debates during a Sept. 23 event at the Denver Post between him and challenger Andrew Romanoff.

Coffman refrained from firing back for the most part, instead sticking to points he has made in previous debates about believing gun control laws are better handled by local than federal governments, and that he supports a path to citizenship through military service.

He did take Romanoff to task for being so passionate about a district the former Colorado House Speaker moved from Denver to in 2013. “If I say that you moved into the district not because you wanted to live in Aurora but because you wanted to live in Washington D.C., what is not true about that?” he asked his opponent. Romanoff served for eight years in the Colorado House of Representatives, and then unsuccessfully challenged Sen. Michael Bennet in 2010 for a Democratic Senate nomination.

During a slew of questions where the candidates were simply told to answer either yes or no, Coffman said he did not support same sex marriage in Colorado while Romanoff said he supported it. Coffman garnered gasps from the crowds when he said he did not believe humans are contributing significantly to climate change, while Romanoff said he did believe humans are contributing to climate change.

When given time to elaborate, Coffman said he believed marriage should be allowed only for a man and a woman, but that he would support whatever decisions Colorado citizens wanted in Congress.  “It’s ultimately up for the voters of Colorado to make that decision,” he said in support of Colorado’s ban on same sex marriage, which has been challenged by several same-sex couples with lawsuits in state court.

Coffman also tempered his response to the climate change question. “The science is not quite settled,” he said. “Does it have an impact? Yes. Do I know how much of an impact it has, man-made climate change? I don’t know. But I think we have to do everything responsible to bring down carbon emissions. Sometimes my worry is when we go too far, what happens is we push, particularly manufacturing jobs overseas to a country like China that has no environmental rules. And those same products are made with greater carbon emissions that otherwise would’ve been made in the United States. I think there has to be a balance that we achieve there.”

National Tragedy

For some reason, Coffman and his camp think they own the carpetbagger issue regarding Romanoff previously living in and serving Denver in the Legislature, but the reality is that — despite his roots — Aurora was never Coffman’s territory.

When the majority of them were in CD7, Aurora voters opted for the likes of Ed Perlmutter; this is the first cycle in which this U.S. House seat has had a legitimate candidate on behalf of the Democratic Party. Whereas Perlmutter — despite being from Golden — helped lead the efforts to bring jobs and development to the City of Aurora with the burgeoning biomedical campus on the site of the former Fitzsimmons army hospital, Coffman has directly worked to demonize the project and get those who lead it through its infancy and growing pains thrown out of the current administration.

Aside from indulging the red-meat lunacy of the birther movement and being in lockstep with the NRA, Coffman has done very little to help grow jobs or the economy in CD6 while in Congress. Let him go back to yukking it up with the #tcot set in Dougco.

Frank2525

Gee golly. I remember all those carpet baggers of the past who moved, or claimed to move from Denver to campaign against Schaffer, Tancredo, and Mike last election. Rented apartment near old DIA, in Aurora promising he was going to live in Aurora whether elected or not. But when he lost, he moved back to Denver. And in Dist 41, state representative had a carpet bagger who moved in with grandmother in Aurora, and he was elected. Campaigning for re-election this year by the way, but grandmother died, and he is back with his wife in Denver. Did you check that out? And with downtown Aurora young voters, he will probably be re-elected. But Democrats don’t care about that, do they? Who does he really represent?

Observer
Observer

Coffman constantly brings up his military service which is well respected and appreciated. But, serving in the military is not a qualification for Congress. If it were, everyone would be voting for General Irv Halter, USAF Ret in Colorado Springs, a big military town. But at least Coffman will debate. Lamborn won’t debate Halter, I’m sure because Lamborn will suffer from hoof-n-mouth syndrome.

Reply to  Observer

Living in Aurora, I have attended meetings with Doug Lamborn in Colorado Springs, and his Aide attended UVC meeting on regular basis. Doug Lamborn has a well qualified military advisory panel of retired Army and Air Force guys and is well tuned in Colorado needs for all its constituents. Reason they are getting a VA Cemetery in the Springs for which we all worked for past 10 years, and the VA Clinic opened there 18 August. To challenge Mike and Doug of not being concerned with Colorado needs, is over the top and not validated by anyone who takes time to review their efforts and websites, or talk to their constituents. Stay away from PAC ads since so many are written by old lady in Kentucky. (about 8 of them registered early this year). What does she know about Colorado?

rockerred
rockerred
Reply to  Frank2525

Cong. Ed Perlmutter (CD7) is roundly praised by veterans groups, and for measures he advances to help them while they are alive such as VA benefits. He has never served in the military, and he is a member of the Democratic Party. (Indeed, the only politicians I have ever heard lie about a military record were Republicans.)

Military service is an honorable thing, even for people were drafted. But somehow it’s become a sort of rubber stamp upon one’s patriotism, or even personal character. Many Americans showed both of these qualities by serving in Vietnam, while many others showed the same thing by not serving there.

Not serving is not a blight on a candidate’s record. But citizens who praise their own favorite’s military service sure seem to imply that it is.

Frank2525

I beg to differ with both who have posted here so far. My house was in Dist#06 when I moved back in 1977, after retiring from USAF. Then redistricted to #01 in 1990, #07 in 2001, and Bob Beauprez was elected. He held townhouse meetings on regular basis, to standing room groups in different Restaurants with ranchers, politicians, educators, veterans, retirees, so full mix of constituents. I served on his advisory panel those 4 years, meeting at offices and in Municipal Building- Aurora to hear speakers, and take part in give-take conversations. Then my house was redistricted back to #06. So I know Bob Beauprez and Tom Tancredo as personal friends, and representatives, just as I know Mike Coffman in all of his state positions. I know them in ways not known by MSM, PACs, or those who have axes to grind. All are qualified, honorable men, and having served 26 years 18 days (not planned originally), I do know the difference in leaders from the front (all of them qualify) and those who talk from books, or what teachers told them in schools. From 1956 to 2006, I was registered Independent (later called Unaffiliated) because first 3 years in service I marked military records as (PI meaning Political Influence) of anyone in contact with politicians. Even relatives. Commanders strongly enforced CHAIN OF COMMAND. Did not believe in military electing their own leaders. So after retirement, in 1991, realizing Lowry and Fitzsimons were going to be closed by BRAC, I volunteered and worked in Veteran Organizations to retain and lobby for benefits we earned, and which Dept. of Defense and Congress tried to take away. In War, Military is honored and promised. But when WAR ends, they don’t know who we are. And that is happening now. REASON I WANT MIKE COFFMAN IN WASHINGTON REPRESENTING ME, MY PEERS, AND ALL THOSE WHO WORKED AND DIED BEFORE ME. Our families deserve to be recognized for their sacrifices we put them through too. So I also take exception of Carpet Baggers moving from Denver to campaign in Aurora, though Andrew Romanoff is a good man, and a perfect match for House or Senate in Denver. But I don’t see him as qualified, as Mike is for Washington. And for those who criticize Mike, his office is in Aurora, moved from Pine Tree to be closer to District 06. Office on Colfax did not materialize, but what difference would that have made? We all know where his office is, and his staff are receptive, and so is he when in town. And I also know who the heavy lifters were in getting VAMC idea started in early 1990s. It was not Ed Perlmutter.

National Tragedy
Reply to  Frank2525

So do you agree with your friend Bob Beauprez’s support of making abortion a felony?

Frank2525

See you are still playing with your tweeter. I doubt you can find that as a direct quote anywhere. I know him for a family man, with extended family. And they have worked together through dairy farm, developing farm after city encroached on them, bought a failing bank when each bank was treated as separate in Colorado and making it prosperous with other banks, working as Colorado GOP Director, and he campaigned for District #07, winning by 237 votes after being smeared (or attempt by DNC and MSM) and was reelected. Then PAC and DNC really lied about him, when he campaigned for Governor, which if it had not been successful, Colorado would not be in the doldrums outside Denver, as it has been under Ritter and Hickenlooper. But keep your mind on the important stuff, like sex and birth control. All DNC has to tout these days, and war on women which they initiated, and WH pays its female staffers less than male staffers. Go figure. But don’t get your underwear in a knot.

National Tragedy
Reply to  Frank2525

HOST RYAN WARNER: Let’s start with abortion. As governor, if Roe v. Wade is overturned, would you sign a bill banning all abortions in Colorado?

BOB BEAUPREZ: As long as it protected the life of the mother, I would.

WARNER: Rape? Incest? Anything like that?

BEAUPREZ: No. No, I don’t make exceptions for that.

WARNER: Would you seek such a bill?

BEAUPREZ: Uhh, –

WARNER: Or would you sign it if it came to your desk.

BEAUPREZ: I believe that what happened up in — I believe it was North Dakota, or South Dakota –North, if I remember right.

WARNER: South Dakota

BEAUPREZ: South Dakota, excuse me. I thought that was a legitimate question to put in front of the people again. And I thought that’s what South Dakota did. If there was a move mood within the legislature, I’d, uh — I would applaud that.

Frank2525

So you like “gotcha questions”. Big deal, and means nothing. I could ask you when you quit beating your wife? Would that be a fair question? Would it have anything to do with what you would do in a given condition. I suspect not, and you would be caught short if asked in public, with a microphone and camera. So get real. I don’t believe in debates, and I don’t believe in trick questions. And I would not vote on that question one way or the other.

National Tragedy
Reply to  Frank2525

Frank, I’m sorry you don’t like Mr. Beauprez’s answers. I don’t either. It’s perfectly fair. Although I am worried about electing a guy governor who stumbles over the “trick question,” as you put it.

Frank2525

Will add a serious thought to your question? How do you get a felony out of the question or the reply. If something like that reached the Governors desk, it would have processed through a lot of channels first (not executive orders). Roe vs Wade would first have to be overthrown. Since it was instituted by Supreme Court, on some specious misunderstanding of the Constitution, that would be a real trick to overthrow, and by whom?
Next if it were (hypothetical), then that state house and senate would have to initiate bills, pass them, and then agree with majority vote, before it would reach governors desk. So Warner was asking a hypothetical question, that sane people would not have prepared for, AND YOU THINK THAT BEAUPREZ or anyone else would expect that? Hello World, National Tragedy works in a dream world, or has watched POTUS way too much. Only he is a “I’ll do it myself, because I know no one else will”..

National Tragedy
Reply to  Frank2525

I’ll walk you through this, Frank. Don’t want you to accuse me of laying another “trick question” trap:
1. Bob Beauprez supported the South Dakota law banning all abortions.
2. The South Dakota law banning all abortions punishes anyone who performs an abortion with a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.
3. Got it?

Frank2525

As the statement in recent movie on television ” I don’t care”. I am not pregnant, don’t believe I ever will be, so why is this such an obsession with Democrats. I was against that issue in GOP plank, and was made very uncomfortable by the 12 women attending first caucus I ever attended, and I was only male. In Colorado about 1977-78. They were well past age of child bearing. But mere fact that only 13 of us attended that, representing 4 precincts in Aurora told me that was not viable way to select candidates. Attended 2 more after that, with same results. I prefer open primary and top two vote recipients have runoff, unless one obviously has real large vote, over number 2. Democrats can do the same. No debates, hold forums where candidates state their goals. And every donation made to candidate by check, accounted for, as it used to be. PACs and Unions spend big bucks to buy support, and it is not accounted for. I don’t trust PACs or Unions. Worked in 4 in my lifetime, who did nothing for me.

Frank2525

One question for all posters? If you don’t do own research or study other sources, why attend a debate? You will not learn much except who is glib, quick with answers, and therefore vote by opinion. That is not smart voting. Have known those who vote by color of tie someone wore, or how they smiled. And there at the ones like my cousin in WV. Voted Democrat all her life, and does not intend to change. That is her choice. I don’t live my life that way, and my vote is too valuable to waste on “opinion”. We have a president elected on that basis, and hope and change does not work for me.

leroy
leroy
Reply to  Frank2525

Coffman is a birther. Doesn’t believe the President was born in
Hawaii.

Reply to  leroy

As I stated before (may have been in DP) if that floats your boat, so what? Does that have any thing to do with qualifications, background, records, or future. I can believe anything, just as you can, but it does not help in any way.

leroy
leroy
Reply to  Frank2525

I not only believe Coffman is a birther, i heard him
say this. If he has no better judgment by stating
this false narrative, his judgment is to be questioned.

Rex B
Rex B

If the voters of Colorado for some reason invalidated Mike Coffman’s marriage, how would he feel about the rights of the voters then?

Frank2525

Anyone who has not made up their minds so far, should really check on net for press release 24 Sep 2014 by Hispanic Business Roundtable Institute. Lists 13 Federal Legislators they are supporting in this election, only one Democrat from Texas. Other twelve (12) are Republicans. ————
Mike Coffman of Colorado is supported by them and they are concerned with Latino Small Businesses expansion and development. With their experience and background, I suspect they have a very extended knowledge of what is needed, and who will provide needed support. —-I live in Aurora, and I want to see the shops and stores reopened that closed, with thriving businesses.