Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. CONSERVATIVES: GOP NO LONGER PARTY OF FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
They are grappling with a Republican-backed spending binge that threatens to generate trillion-dollar deficits for years to come.
2. TRUMP’S PRESCRIPTION DRUG COSTS A COMPLEX TRADE-OFF
Some Medicare beneficiaries face higher drug costs under the president’s budget even as the sickest patients save money.
3. ISRAELI ARMY COURT CLOSES DOORS ON PALESTINIAN TEEN’S TRIAL
Protest icon Ahed Tamimi, 17, is being tried for slapping and punching two Israeli soldiers, a case that has drawn wide criticism of Israel.
4. REPORT: SOUTH AFRICA’S RULING PARTY TELLS ZUMA TO RESIGN
Party leaders for the African National Congress say they have delivered an ultimatum to the South African president, giving him 48 hours to respond.
5. RESEARCHERS TRYING TO TACKLE HIV BY DOCTORING DNA
Scientists are altering blood cells in a lab to disable a gene to make the cells resist infection by HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
6. AFGHAN GOVERNMENT, TALIBAN USE BACK CHANNELS TO NEGOTIATE
Officials in Kabul and militants hold talks despite a wave of violence and Trump’s pronouncement that there would be no negotiations for now, the AP learns.
7. BILL, MELINDA GATES TURN ATTENTION TOWARD POVERTY IN AMERICA
The world’s foremost philanthropists say they’re studying related issues such as employment, race and housing.
8. TRUMP BUDGET AGAIN TARGETS REGIONAL WATER CLEANUP PROGRAMS
The president’s proposed budget would slash EPA funding for Great Lakes and Chesapeake Bay restoration programs by 90 percent.
9. VIRTUAL REALITY FIELD TRIPS GAINING IN POPULARITY
On any given day, classrooms of students are using virtual reality to visit the pyramids, observe medical operations, even swim through the human circulatory system.
10. WHO TOOK HER FAMILY ON ONE MORE EPIC RIDE
Chloe Kim hit back-to-back 1080-degree spins on her second and third jumps to capture gold in the halfpipe at the Pyeongchang Olympics.