Teen who shot Aurora boy in head after school-related tiff sentenced to 30 years


AURORA | A teenager has been sentenced to three decades in prison for fatally shooting another Aurora teen in the head following a dispute two years ago, local prosecutors announced Monday.

An Arapahoe County District Court judge earlier this month sentenced Edgar Hernandez-Flores, now 18, for the murder of 16-year-old Jeremy Rudolph in an Aurora parking lot on March 18, 2019, according to a spokesperson for the 18th Judicial District Attorney’s Office.

Pictured: Edgar Hernandez-Flores. Photo provided by the 18th Judicial District Attorney’s Office.

Authorities determined that Hernandez-Flores shot Rudolph once in the head at about 11:30 a.m. near the Sable Technological Center at the intersection of East Sixth Avenue and Sable Boulevard, according to information released by Aurora police. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital shortly after his body was found in a pool of blood in the commercial parking lot.

Prosecutors said Hernandez-Flores fired 14 rounds into a group of several teens following a disagreement that began at school. Investigators later determined that Hernandez-Flores and Rudolph were in separate friend groups that were in an ongoing feud over one teenager pushing another.

Both Rudolph and Hernandez-Flores were students at Colorado Early College, a local charter school certified through a state licensing board and separate from either of Aurora’s primary school districts.

“A schoolyard spat escalated into a murder, and Mr. Rudolph’s family is left grieving because Jeremy will never come home from school again,” Senior Chief Deputy District Attorney Vicki Klingensmith said in a statement.

The group of teens fled the area after the shooting, but Hernandez-Flores was arrested one day later. Investigators with the local branch of the FBI, Aurora SWAT, the Aurora police K-9 unit and surveillance teams worked for nearly 31 consecutive hours to track and arrest the teen, police said.

Hernandez-Flores pleaded guilty to a lone count of second-degree murder in May after striking a deal with prosecutors that resulted in other charges getting dismissed.

Rudolph is survived by his nine brothers and sisters and his parents. “Everyone loved Jeremy’s sense of humor,” according to a funeral program posted by the Taylor Mortuary. “His love and beautiful smile will never be forgotten.”

Hernandez-Flores is currently at the Denver Reception and Diagnostic Center awaiting transfer to prison, records show. He will be eligible for parole in 2041.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Judith A Powers
Judith A Powers
17 days ago

Jeremy Rudolph and the boy who shot him are both victims of our gun-based society. This death and the sentencing of a young man to 30 years in prison is the result of the failure of our society to protect all young people. Youthful rage and a mistake should not end a life and make another life into hell. Why was there a gun available to these teenagers? My heart goes out to Jeremy’s family, and to Edgar and his family.

Jeff Brown
Jeff Brown
17 days ago

Where are the charges against those who gave this child the gun and ammo? If he gets 40 years, the enablers certainly deserve the same.

APD and DA: you are failing at getting to the root causes to this gun violence. Throwing children in prison may make some feel better but you’ve accomplished little, really.

Jeff Brown
Jeff Brown
17 days ago

30 years I mean