Man who shot protesters on I-225 in Aurora gets jail time

DENVER | A man who shot and wounded two demonstrators while apparently aiming at a Jeep that was headed toward the crowd during a protest to bring attention to police violence in Aurora in 2020 was sentenced Tuesday to 120 days in jail followed by five years of probation.

Samuel Young, 24, had been convicted in March of two counts of second-degree assault, four counts of attempted manslaughter and a single count of illegally discharging his gun, The Denver Post reported.

“It all happened so fast, there was no time to think, just to react,” Young said in court. “My reaction was wrong… I cannot take bullets back. I immediately regretted what I’d done, and wanted to repair the damage.”

Several hundred people who attended the July 2020 protest in Aurora had walked onto a highway and blocked all of its lanes. A Jeep approached from behind the protesters and headed toward the crowd, prompting Young to fire five shots.

Two shots hit the back of the Jeep, and two shots hit fellow protesters. One man was shot in the leg and another was grazed in the head. A woman also broke her leg when she leaped from the highway.

The driver, who pulled off the highway and contacted police after the shooting, was not charged.

The protest was organized in support of Elijah McClain, a 23-year-old Black man who was arrested in August 2019 after someone called 911 to report a suspicious person wearing a ski mask and waving his arms while he walked down the street.

He was arrested by Aurora police and injected with 500 milligrams of ketamine by first responders called to the scene. McClain suffered cardiac arrest, was declared brain dead and taken off life support less than a week later.

1 1 vote
Don
Don
1 month ago

4 months for attempted manslaughter. It’s good to be a leftist “protestor” shooting other leftists.

1 month ago
Reply to  Don

Are you the only one who is trying to make this political? It was a demonstration, something to which Americans are entitled. They did break the law by going onto the highway, but that does not give someone the right to shoot them. And this is the first time I’ve heard that the shooter was a “leftist.”

Dean
1 month ago
Reply to  Joe Felice

Joe, So you think Samuel Young was not there to show his political voice to make noise as part of the protestors? Do we know who was leading the charge of that bunch? It started at city hall and they walked down Alameda to block and shut down I-225. They had timed the other blockers in vehicles up stream at Mississippi. On the other hand, Joe, maybe your right, Young went there to be enlighten to some poetry, and was clueless to what else was going to happen.

Stephen Maio
1 month ago
Reply to  Joe Felice

Well then your not paying attention Joe. Of course it is political. You leftys are out of control because the powers that be are allowing it. You don’t get to block the highway because of some perceived injustice. Colorado has gone full California stupid. Leftist Governor, leftist legislature, large leftist voting base. High crime, over crowded, high taxes, Young bums living in tents in the parks and shitting on the sidewalks yep just a wonderful place nowadays. Oops my bad got off on a tangent.

Don
Don
1 month ago
Reply to  Joe Felice

Joe the guy shot two other “protestors”. Everyone knows there weren’t a bunch of republicans blocking the highway. He shot other leftists and he is one himself. Try to keep up.

Publius
Publius
1 month ago

The sentence strikes me as light for irresponsible gun play in a crowd where innocents were hurt. I mean what did he hope to accomplish? It is not as if a bullet weighing a few hundred grains is going to stop a several ton vehicle anyhow.

I guess I have to hope justice was done by those who heard all of the evidence at the trial, persons with far more knowledge on this matter than have I. It just strikes me as being light on first impression.

Stephen Maio
1 month ago
Reply to  Publius

Your first impression is correct. He shot a few people and he’s getting 4 months and probation. There are people who walked into the capital and at worse trespassed and broke a window and they’ve been held for over a year. That’s a fact and that’s a stain on the Republic.

1 month ago

Wow! Only 4 months! Almost makes it worthwhile to shoot someone. And they wonder why. . . Oh, never mind. Just keep shooting.