1 person hospitalized after bleach spill at Aurora’s Gaylord Rockies hotel

Aurora firefighters don protective gear before responding to a chemical spill at the Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center Sept. 14, 2020. Photo provided by Aurora Fire Rescue.

AURORA | One person was taken to the hospital after a chemical spill in a truck bay at the Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center Monday afternoon, according to officials with Aurora Fire Rescue.

Aurora firefighters wearing hazmat suits responded to the east Aurora hotel shortly before 2 p.m. after receiving reports that a noxious chemical had spilled in “the dock area,” according to tweets.

Fire officials eventually located about 10 gallons of liquid sodium hypochlorite, a bleaching agent commonly used to disinfect water. The spill was fully contained about three hours later, according to tweets. The substance was largely confined to a grease trap, which prevented it from spreading, officials said.

Paramedics assessed a total of three people at the scene, though only one was transported by ambulance. All of those who received medical treatment were working in the area. No hotel guests were injured during the incident, a spokesperson for Aurora Fire confirmed.

The hospitalized person’s current condition is unclear, though officials do not believe the person sustained any life-threatening injuries, according to fire officials.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments