Kansas man gets eight years for 2014 Aurora crime spree


AURORA | A man who went on a brazen crime spree last summer — assaulting a homeless man, breaking into four homes, stealing a car and biting a police officer’s neck in just four hours — has been sentenced to eight years in prison.Adam Lacer, mug shot courtesy Aurora police.

Adam Nicklaus Lacer, 22, of Emporia, Kan., was sentenced to eight years in prison on Wednesday after pleading guilty in March to burglary, assault and assaulting a police officer, all felonies.

According to Arapahoe County prosecutors, Lacer’s crime spree started around 4 a.m. July 1, 2014, when a woman spotted him standing in her apartment on East Kentucky Place. After the man fled, the woman said she noticed several bags of items from her mother’s room were on the balcony outside.

Less than an hour later police were called to a nearby Walmart where a homeless man said he was sleeping in his car when Lacer woke him up, assaulted him and stole his keys.

A witness saw Lacer run under a foot bridge where police later found tools, golf clubs and other items stolen from a car parked at a nearby home.

Police were again called to an apartment on East Kentucky Place around 6:20 a.m. where a man said his car, wallet, keys and phone were missing.

Around 7:15 a.m. police got a call from a man about 10 miles away who said Lacer asked him for a ride to a hospital and later stole two drills and two bikes from him.

About a half hour later police used the phone stolen from the second Kentucky Place victim to track Lacer to a home on East Saratoga Place and found Lacer in the stolen car.

Police chased Lacer on foot and used their Taser on him, but he continued to fight, eventually biting an officer on the neck and getting away.

In the next hour, police say Lacer broke into two more homes before officers found him on South Killarney Court around 8:45 a.m.  and arrested him.

At the time of his arrest, prosecutors say Lacer was an amateur MMA fighter with a 7-1 record. He had only been in Denver for three weeks prior the incidents, and was homeless, prosecutors said.