Aurora City Manager Skip Noe counters criticism from 5 councilwomen

AURORA | City Manager George “Skip” Noe issued a statement Thursday in response to criticism from city council members who say he unfairly treats women.

Aurora City Manger Skip Noe
Aurora City Manger Skip Noe

The statement, which Noe sent personally to the The Aurora Sentinel and The Denver Post, is the first time he has spoken publicly after  five councilwomen pushed forward a vote of no confidence for Noe in January that failed.

“The newspaper reports include accusations that I have mistreated specific council members — yelling at and mistreating them — and that I have treated the female members differently from the male members of Council,” he said in the statement. “I treat and value all people equally and, as I have said repeatedly in the past, these allegations are not accurate.”

After he released the statement, Noe said that supporters had urged him to respond publicly to allegations.

“After a lot of soul-searching, I thought it was important that I  make a public statement,” he said. “I have no comment on any reaction of council members to my statement. It stands for itself.”

Councilwoman Sally Mounier, one of the five to vote that she had no confidence in Noe as city manager,  told the Sentinel in February he has a problem working with female council members.

“We’re treated like this: ‘Sit down. Don’t get hysterical. Take three Midols,'” she said.

The four other women to give a vote of no confidence were Renie Peterson, Molly Markert, Sally Mounier and Marsha Berzins.

“Skip has all of the right in the world to make a statement,”Berzins said in response to it.  “He has First Amendment rights like we do. It’s OK with me that he did this.”

She said she still did not know whether the tension among council members, who are almost evenly split over their confidence in Noe, will be resolved anytime soon.

What specific complaints the councilwomen have concerning Noe are still murky, and some of them say it has nothing to do with how he treats women.

“The concerns that I have had were never about being treated differently because I am a woman,” said Councilwoman Renie Peterson, who serves Aurora’s Ward II, in an email. “My concerns were about information and waivers relevant to Ward II.”

Aurora City Council has held two executive sessions concerning Noe since the January vote. A special closed-door meeting held in March lasted four hours with no resolution.

Noe told the Sentinel after the statement was released Thursday that he was not in the room during most of that meeting, and was called in after most of the council members left. He said the mediator hired by the city to help work out issues with council members was also not at the meeting.

City council members will meet as part of a regular meeting April 13 to again discuss Noe’s future with Aurora.

“We’ll see what the majority says. The five of us have not been able to move anything,” Berzins said.

public statement april 9 2015

Doxology
Doxology

I suggest our City invest in small tape recorders for all City Council members to carry with them so that inappropriate comments can be recorded. I also hope that our peace officers (police) will soon be wearing cameras. Too many unarmed men of color are being killed by police officers in our country (including in Aurora) and it simply must stop! If five City Council members find it difficult to work with the City Manager, then there is a problem with the City Manager! Isn’t that just common sense?

reader
reader
Reply to  Doxology

I know my city council representative would not speak out about City Manager Skip Noe unless the situtation
was dire. Maybe people can see what goes down at the special study session scheduled for Apri 20th at
5 p.m. As far as I am concerned. . .where there is smoke, there is fire.

Doxology
Doxology
Reply to  reader

Not stupid at all. Facts are facts. How many unarmed white men are killed by police? Thank God for the “liberal mindset” you besmirch so glibly. Without it, or everyone but the richest 1% would be out on the streets, starving, or dead from lack of healthcare and social programs. Shame on right-wingers who care only about themselves.

indiana
indiana
Reply to  Doxology

FACT…more white men are killed by police than black…SEE….you are a programmed fool…the news media never ever report any of the police injustice that happens to whites…do you ever see even one story? No Did you read about or hear about the black racist attack of a white guy on a bus less than a month ago? NO…WHY? Because your racist corrupt media have a agenda. YOU ARE the stupid cow…because you don’t know facts.

indiana
indiana
Reply to  Doxology

You mean you been programmed to believe it’s just people of color? Are you really that pathetically stupid?

chris
chris
Reply to  indiana

I’m beginning to believe that “Indiana” makes pathetically stupid reponses to get a reponse from people.
It’s usually a negative response, but maybe he gets off on that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
If you don’t agree, it’s really not cool to disparage those who disagree with you. Evidentally
“Indiana” didn’t learn this in school.

Doxology
Doxology
Reply to  chris

Hello, Chris and Loretta. Thank you for pointing out the truth about Indiana. He (or she) is so full of rage and anger, it’s like a poison. He (or she) lashes out with vitriolic filth and hatred for complete strangers, which any mental health professional could tell us is a sign of complete self-hatred. I hope he (or she) will seek mental health counseling. Surely there is some good deep inside of Indiana, somewhere. I hope it is not too late for him (or her) to find it and delight in it. I wish Indiana all the best and hope he (or she) will be able to embrace peace and serenity and tolerance and kindness. I will no longer give him (or her) the attention he (or she) is so desperately seeking.

Joe Hardhat
Joe Hardhat

Already women make up 6 of 10 city council members. I’m predicting after the election women increase their number on the council to perhaps 8 of 10, Molly Markert will be mayor, and the next city manager will be a woman.

graham
graham
Reply to  Joe Hardhat

sounds good to me. In Congress, women know how to compromise and get the job done, and aren’t usually
beating the drums of war.

indiana
indiana

What can you expect? These are Femi-Nazi’s created by a liberal mindset.

loretta
loretta
Reply to  indiana

yes, I agree Chris. “Indiana” posts childish, juvenile comments just to see what kind of response he will
get. He probably gets childish glee to see that someone has taken the time to read his rubbish.

indiana
indiana
Reply to  loretta

FACTS are statements….not comments. Educate yourself cow.

Ashley In Aurora
Ashley In Aurora

If council cared about anyone but themselves, they should have allowed city employees to weigh in on Noe and remain anonymous.