Aurora boosting its branding effort with marketing hire

Aurora is bolstering its effort to change public opinion about the city’s image by dedicating a full-time person to improve Aurora’s image.

A sample of the branding campaign material for the City of Aurora. Provided by City of Aurora “Aurora is worth discovering” is the focus of a brand campaign the City of Aurora launched early last year to portray the city to neighbors and out-of-towners in an illustrative, youthful manner.

In 2014, city officials hired Denver-based consultant Adrenalin to come up with a vibrant new ad campaign for $300,000 as one way to battle Aurora’s reputation as the metro region’s red-headed stepchild.

Now the city is hiring a senior marketing and branding officer to further manage its municipal brand.

“The new marketing position, which is a salary of roughly $70,000, will work on the day-to-day aspects of marketing the city,” said city spokeswoman Kim Stuart. “This employee will be part of the city’s communications team and coordinate with Adrenalin as well as our partners at the Aurora Chamber of Commerce, Aurora Economic Development Council, Visit Aurora, Fitzsimons Redevelopment Authority and the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus.”

No further money is being budgeted for the Adrenalin campaign, Stuart said. She said in the last two years, the city has directed its marketing efforts to developers, who she said are pivotal in bringing quality development to Aurora and in helping attract millennial renters and buyers.

“In 2016 we will begin reaching out to those who work at Aurora’s leading employers, but may not live here. This year’s work will also focus on our residents, who are after all the city’s best ambassadors,” she said.

The website for the campaign, www.auroraworthdiscovering.com, launched last summer as an offshoot of the official city website and the branding campaign. The site highlights various city neighborhood’s, including  Aurora Cultural Arts District, Del Mar Parkway, Saddle Rock and Tallyn’s Reach.

Over the years, murder rates in Aurora have significantly decreased, along with burglaries and shoplifting. But city officials say they are still battling an Aurora that people remember from decades ago — when headlines in Denver media equated Aurora with gang violence. Many saw the city as a sprawling, treeless haven for crime.

“Our peers throughout the area are taking note and have shared with us their positive reactions to the campaign,” Stuart said. “It must be in part a result of the nearly 29 million impressions generated through last year’s efforts.”

Joe Hardhat
Joe Hardhat

If Aurora wants to change its image, then it must start with tearing down wood fences along major boulevards and switching to brick. Go neighborhood by neighborhood and tack on a local mil levy to pay for the improvements.

Bronson
Bronson
Reply to  Joe Hardhat

Joe, I completely agree with you on this one; that doesn’t happen often on other issues. Enjoy the day!

Ben
Ben
Reply to  Joe Hardhat

+1. I’m not sure why they’d rather waste money on marketing instead of actually making the city a nicer place to live. I am one of those laughably coveted *millennials* and I invested in Aurora by buying a house here and putting 10’s of thousands of dollars into it. It’s turning into a huge mistake.

Aurora seems to be doing everything to drive people like me out. The traffic division wants to turn the once quiet residential street my house is on into a ghetto by painting a double yellow down the street. Everyday people are blasting down it at 50+MPH (in school zones nonetheless) and the city could care less. Our police department is a bad joke. I’ve been trying to contact my PAR officer since NOVEMBER. Never mind that a kid is going to die sooner rather than later, mention a stop sign to the city and they start quoting regulations about why they won’t help you. Funny how no other city in the metro area seems to follow that particular rule book. Aurora would rather do what’s cheap and easy than do what’s right.

I’d bet money this ‘marketing position’ is a political favor. Aurora is a s***hole and a couple of big pet projects aside, city hall could care less about changing that. At least that’s been my experience thus far. I’d love for someone to prove me wrong.

Joe Hardhat
Joe Hardhat
Reply to  Ben

The City of Aurora is excellent if you’re a city employee … great pay and benefits. Also, property taxes from better neighborhoods get diverted to improvements in poorer neighborhoods, which depresses home values in the newer areas as infrastructure ages and crumbles.

Joe Hardhat
Joe Hardhat
Reply to  Ben

Take a look at my posts about the city’s generosity toward its part-time city council …

Retiree
Retiree
Reply to  Ben

Could be an ad agency with a friend (friends) on the city council who’s out to make some taxpayer bucks. I remember Johnny Carson once saying that he got a letter from someone who said that his show was ruining the guy’s love life with his wife. Johnny’s advice? “Put on a better show!” That’s what I’d say to Aurora: Give people a reason to come here! Bumper stickers, tag lines, advertising campaigns WON’T DO IT!

ky
ky

Wow, Joe. This is a first that we agree on. The fence canyons are truly horrible. $70,000 would go a long way in beautifying Aurora.

Staceybcriswell3
Staceybcriswell3
Reply to  ky

❝my neighbor’s mate is getting 98$. HOURLY on the internet❞….

A few days ago new McLaren F1 subsequent after earning 18,512$,,,this was my previous month’s paycheck ,and-a little over, 17k$ Last month ..3-5 h/r of work a day ..with extra open doors & weekly paychecks.. it’s realy the easiest work I have ever Do. I Joined This 7 months ago and now making over 87$, p/h.Learn More right Here
nv……..
➤➤
➤➤➤ https://GlobalSuperEmploymentVacanciesReportsMoney/GetPaid/98$hourly❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.

Retiree
Retiree

Something there is about sow’s ears…

Valerie Hansen
Valerie Hansen
Reply to  Retiree

❝my neighbor’s mate is getting 98$. HOURLY on the internet❞….

A few days ago new McLaren F1 subsequent after earning 18,512$,,,this was my previous month’s paycheck ,and-a little over, 17k$ Last month ..3-5 h/r of work a day ..with extra open doors & weekly. paychecks.. it’s realy the easiest work I have ever Do.. I Joined This 7 months ago and now making over 87$, p/h.Learn More right Here
3xts……
➤➤
➤➤➤ https://GlobalSuperEmploymentVacanciesReportsBetter/GetPaid/98$hourly❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦

bs
bs

Just goes to show that our city officials are wasting our money trying to polish a turd. They have no real ideas.